Safety advice: worth a quick read!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm really glad you posted that! I always did what they say is the correct method, but I have been told numerous times to leave the computer plugged in to the mains with it turned off, so as to ground the computer (and yourself with a wrist strap).

No more confusion here :crazy:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The advice is correct ... you should not leave your system plugged into the wall socket while working on it.

I have had the "pleasure" of replacing several components because the PSU allowed 240volt through. Imagine what would have happened to the "customer" if he had been on the inside.

Now the work-round is quite simple ... get yourself another power lead but do not use the live or neutral feeds, just wire-up the earth. Now you can "plug-in" with no fear. :brow:

I have two in the workshop and one at home ... there is only one problem ... remember to replace the "mock-up" with a real power cable or you could spend a long time trying to figure out why you have no power to the system. :D

Reaction score
Sounds like a neat idea Mucks!

..and yes, Ian, I've always been told to leave the cable in with the socket switched off, too...I've always ignored the advice, partly because of an instinctive fear of leaving anything plugged into a socket on or off, but mainly 'cos where i work on my PC, a power lead wouldn't reach the plug, and i can't be arsed to buy an extension:spin: I just use a wrist strap thingy and keep touching an exposed part of the case now and then...I have never damaged a PCB but my nose and ears do tend to glow in the dark:crazy:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Originally posted by muckshifter

Now the work-round is quite simple ... get yourself another power lead but do not use the live or neutral feeds, just wire-up the earth. Now you can "plug-in" with no fear. :brow:

That... is brilliant in it's simplicity.

Which proves to me yet again that it's never too late to learn something new, so obvious, I've never, ever thought of it :D

Reaction score
safety first

This is sound advice, have heard of a few horror stories due to people becoming complacent when it comes to electrics. well flagged.

Reaction score
I've never fryed anything by just unplugging my PC and touching the end of the power cord (that isn't plugged in) every 5 minutes to earth myself (not even sure if it works considering the plug that normally goes into the socket as the earthing one is what im touching) but havent had a problem yet

then again, I hardly get my hands dirty inside a PC lol

Ask a Question