Redesigned Celerons coming to market

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Intel has some new Celeron goodness coming, in the socket-478 format! Initial models will be 1.7/1.8Ghz - overclocking these will be VERY interesting! This should enable Intel to compete in all markets, which they were unable to previously achieve.

Intel's first Celeron chips based on the architecture behind the Pentium 4 will come out next week, a move that will allow the company to cover the entire PC market with the same chip design.
Intel plans to release 1.7HGz and 1.8GHz Celerons for desktop computers next Wednesday, according to sources. Some new PCs containing the chip will appear next week, but most major PC manufacturers will unfurl budget computers containing the chips for the consumer and corporate markets the following week. That's when a chipset with integrated graphics comes out, which will eliminate the need for a separate graphics chip

Read the article here

Reaction score
So, does this mean I can buy a new Celeron when they come out, and use it in my P4 motherboard? If so, that would kick ass!!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Dave

Yep, sure does. :D

Now I wonder why Intel is 'reinventing' the Celeron? Is it because they were loosing ground to AMD?

Now don't get me wrong folks, I to used Intel chips (well the alternative was unspeakable) but I get the feeling that Intel still need a "budget" market.

On a side note Dave; I would like your opinion on the P4 & the 845. I'm a small system builder and must admit to not supplying Intel because of price. Sorry. A Celeron (because of price and boy could you OC those babies) may change my mind however.

Start a thread for me in Hardware General...

Mucks. 8)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Parhelia-512 Info

Well, I bet most of you have heard of a so-called "GeForce 4 killer" card coming on the market soon from Matrox... Well, iXBT have a load of info on the card, as well as the technology/features behind it.

You have to read this : http://jc.planetpei.com/parhelia/

Ask a Question