Re: Missing printers causing long boot times?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Hardware' started by Chuck, May 31, 2010.

  1. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    On 5/26/2010 2:06 PM, Hollis Paul wrote:
    > A Vista Business 64-bit was booting fine until an Epson printer decided
    > that the ink was low, put a two page document into the queue, and never
    > operated properly since. We first deleted the printer object,
    > connected to another printer on another workstation, and were able to
    > print. But that failed on the second attempt to print, so we waited
    > for the refurb Lexmark to arrive. The Lexmark works fine, prints like
    > a champ, but the boot still takes forever.
    >
    > Is there a log that I can look at to determine if time is being lost
    > while the boot process looks for the old Epson printer of the shared
    > printer on the other workstation? Is there a registry key that could
    > have outdated printer data?
    >
    > The network is provided by a SBS 2003 installation at SP1.
    >
    > --
    > Hollis Paul
    > Mukilteo, WA USA

    Many of the Epson printers have several modules that may not have been
    removed properly. Depending upon the exact model, a "cleanup" utility
    may be available on the Epson support web site. Other models require a
    full install/uninstall, driven by software included on the support CD/DVD.
    As to registry entries, the first search term to try is epson. I'd print
    a text copy of these entries, so that references to "sub entries" are
    readable, and thus actionable.

    Chuck, May 31, 2010