Re: Laptop battery no longer gets charged

Discussion in 'Processors' started by BillW50, Aug 15, 2011.

  1. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > I got an older model laptop running XP, it's a Gateway MX6440, which
    > is about 6 or 7 years old now. I keep it around to run older software
    > which may not have been ported to Windows 7. Just recently I noticed
    > that it's no longer charging its battery. The battery is just over 1
    > year old, and it replaced the original battery. I see the Power icon
    > showing that I'm running on the AC mains, and that the battery has 0%
    > charge left on it, but the icon doesn't show any charging going on.
    >
    > I could possibly get another battery, but I'm afraid that maybe
    > there's nothing wrong with the battery, and the problem might lie
    > with the circuitry that charges the battery from the mains. Any way
    > to test this? The problem just occurred last week. Before that it was
    > charging fine.
    > Yousuf Khan

    Too bad we are not neighbors... as I have seven good batteries that will
    fit that model. I also have two worthless batteries that will fit it
    too. They basically have virtually no capacity, but they will show a
    charge if you use them on AC. If you want to pay for shipping, you can
    have one or both of them. So what does the battery test button show?

    I have nine Gateways that use that same battery. They are pretty cheap
    on eBay (under 40 bucks). There is also a charger that uses the AC
    adapter to charge the battery on eBay. But it isn't cheap, like about 80
    bucks if I remember right.

    If it were me, I'd look for another laptop. I like the Gateway M465 the
    best (manufactures '06 to '07). As it can handle lots of different CPUs
    (Celerons, Core Duo, and Core2 Duo), removable bay for a second battery,
    floppy, and even a second hard drive. Plus they work with the RQ5
    docking station. They sell for between 50 to 100 bucks on eBay.

    --
    Bill
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    BillW50, Aug 15, 2011