Re: How big is a gigabyte in hard drive advertising and packaging?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Rolf Blom, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. Rolf Blom

    Rolf Blom Guest

    On 07/07/08 04:59 PM, mm wrote:
    > How big is a gigabyte in hard drive advertising and packaging?
    >
    > From another newsgroup, I suppose it's true:
    >
    > Coverage of a recent New Mexico Supreme Court case said that
    > states were getting bold in finding excuses to void arbitration
    > agreements under general state contract law and the U. S. Supreme
    > Court was consistently refusing to review the state decisions.
    >
    > The New Mexico case was a class action suit against Dell for
    > rating hard drive capacity in decimal instead of binary gigabytes.
    > The class included people who ordered computers from Dell's web
    > site. Dell requires users of their web site to agree to Texas law
    > and arbitration of individual claims only. The artibtration clause
    > and class action waiver are legal under Texas law. New Mexico law,
    > the court decreed, includes a fundamental right to bring a class
    > action. Class action arbitration was not possible under the rules
    > in effect (though that may change) therefore the case could be tried
    > in New Mexico state court.
    >
    > (It was one of those cases where I wanted both sides to lose.
    > Dell, for making it practically impossible to get relief if
    > they had actually done something wrong. The plaintiff, for
    > caring about the trivial difference between 2^30 and 10^9.)
    > -- end quote --
    >
    > But someone else says the normal manner of business is to use
    > 1,000,000,000 bytes for a gigabyte.
    >
    > I thought that formatted drives had fewer bytes capacity than
    > unformatted drives, because of the overhead used by formatting** but
    > that on the box and in the advertising for a hard drive, a gigabyte
    > meant 1024^3. Is that true?
    >

    > **Space allowed for directory information is the only overhead I can
    > think of. Is there more?
    >

    > If you are inclined to email me
    > for some reason, remove NOPSAM :)

    This is a recurring confusion, and it has been a mix-up for many years now.

    There have been attempts at changing the prefixes, but those are not so
    widely spread or used. How many uses Kibi- or Gibi-bytes in specs today?

    IEC:s definition: http://www.iec.ch/zone/si/si_bytes.htm

    (If we only had eight fingers, I'd think that problem would not exist.)

    /Rolf

    Rolf Blom, Jul 7, 2008

  2. Rolf Blom

    Rod Speed Guest

    Rolf Blom <> wrote:
    > On 07/07/08 04:59 PM, mm wrote:
    >> How big is a gigabyte in hard drive advertising and packaging?
    >>
    >> From another newsgroup, I suppose it's true:
    >>
    >> Coverage of a recent New Mexico Supreme Court case said that
    >> states were getting bold in finding excuses to void arbitration
    >> agreements under general state contract law and the U. S. Supreme
    >> Court was consistently refusing to review the state decisions.
    >>
    >> The New Mexico case was a class action suit against Dell for
    >> rating hard drive capacity in decimal instead of binary gigabytes.
    >> The class included people who ordered computers from Dell's web
    >> site. Dell requires users of their web site to agree to Texas law
    >> and arbitration of individual claims only. The artibtration clause
    >> and class action waiver are legal under Texas law. New Mexico law,
    >> the court decreed, includes a fundamental right to bring a class
    >> action. Class action arbitration was not possible under the rules
    >> in effect (though that may change) therefore the case could be tried
    >> in New Mexico state court.
    >>
    >> (It was one of those cases where I wanted both sides to lose.
    >> Dell, for making it practically impossible to get relief if
    >> they had actually done something wrong. The plaintiff, for
    >> caring about the trivial difference between 2^30 and 10^9.)
    >> -- end quote --
    >>
    >> But someone else says the normal manner of business is to use
    >> 1,000,000,000 bytes for a gigabyte.
    >>
    >> I thought that formatted drives had fewer bytes capacity than
    >> unformatted drives, because of the overhead used by formatting** but
    >> that on the box and in the advertising for a hard drive, a gigabyte
    >> meant 1024^3. Is that true?
    >>

    >> **Space allowed for directory information is the only overhead I can
    >> think of. Is there more?
    >>

    >> If you are inclined to email me
    >> for some reason, remove NOPSAM :)

    > This is a recurring confusion, and it has been a mix-up for many
    > years now.
    >
    > There have been attempts at changing the prefixes, but those are not
    > so widely spread or used. How many uses Kibi- or Gibi-bytes in specs
    > today?
    >
    > IEC:s definition: http://www.iec.ch/zone/si/si_bytes.htm
    >
    > (If we only had eight fingers, I'd think that problem would not exist.)

    Feel free to cut off two of yours and find that it still does.

    Rod Speed, Jul 7, 2008