Re: can't print from DOS

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Printing' started by Cari \(MS-MVP\), Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Have you looked at Bruce Sanderson's article at
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm

    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Aug 5, 2003

  2. Cari \(MS-MVP\)

    Mike Guest

    I just looked at Bruce Sanderson's article. It says if
    the printer is local and connected to a parallel port
    (which this on is) you don't have to do anything. So the
    article doesn't apply. I appreciate your help.

    Mike, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Cari \(MS-MVP\)

    Paul Baker Guest

    Are you using a command line like this...

    COPY/B TEST LPT1:

    .... where TEST is a simple one-line text file? If not, you should try it.

    What do you mean it stopped working? Is there any output from the printer?
    Is there any message in the Command Prompt?

    Is there any output from the printer if you close the Command Prompt?

    Paul

    Paul Baker, Aug 6, 2003
  4. Cari \(MS-MVP\)

    Mike Guest

    Any way it is sent to the printer from DOS it doesn't
    work. There's no error messages and no output. It acts
    like the file is going somewhere, just not to the
    printer. What I mean by it just stopped is one day she
    could print from her DOS application and the next day she
    couldn't. It's not the printer. I tested it on my
    computer with no problems. And like I said, it prints with
    Windows applications.

    Thanks for your help Paul

    Mike, Aug 6, 2003
  5. Cari \(MS-MVP\)

    Paul Baker Guest

    Mike,

    1. It does sound like you've got a good description of the problem, but can
    you try precisely what I suggested just to humour me?
    2. Print a Test Page in Windows. If it still works, look at the printer
    properties to see what the port is. Verify that it is LPT1:. Verify that the
    printer really does appear to be hooked up to the parallel port.
    3. In Notepad, create a text file with one line, call it TEST and put it in
    the root of the C:\ drive.
    4. Open Command Prompt.
    5. Type "NET USE". Verify that there there is no mention of LPT1: being
    captured.
    5. Type "C":
    6. Type "CD \"
    7. Type "COPY/B TEST LPT1:". Don't forget the colon.
    8. Observe any output from the printer and/or messages from the Command
    Prompt or Windows.
    9. Type "EXIT" to close the Command Prompt.
    10. Observe any output from the printer and/or messages from the Command
    Prompt or Windows.

    Thanks,

    Paul

    Paul Baker, Aug 6, 2003
  6. Cari \(MS-MVP\)

    Mike Guest

    I did exactly what you said. I printed a Word document
    after I did your test and the test print didn't come out.

    Mike

    press the Form Feed

    Mike, Aug 7, 2003
  7. Cari \(MS-MVP\)

    Paul Baker Guest

    Mike,

    So, does this sounds lie an accurate description of the behaviour?

    A Test Page printed okay.
    Then the COPY/B seemed to do nothing.
    Then printing from Word seems to do nothing.
    Then you reboot.
    Then printing from Word prints normally.
    The text in the TEST file never printed.

    If so, I'm afraid I can't think of a logical explanation or something to try
    right now. I'll keep thinking.

    Paul

    Paul Baker, Aug 8, 2003
  8. Cari \(MS-MVP\)

    Mike Guest

    Paul

    I received a message from Brian Smither from Smither
    Consulting about a shareware program to try. It's
    called "dosprn". It worked. His message is posted. I
    appreciate all of your help.

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 8, 2003