Re: Avira - Removal of vdf files

Discussion in 'Anti-Virus' started by Shadow, Apr 18, 2012.

  1. Shadow

    Shadow Guest

    On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:38 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote:

    >Can the old virus definition update files be deleted with impunity ? I have
    >found a large number of files named antivir*.vdf (and zip file versions) and
    >they are taking a significant amount of space on my old desktop which is
    >starting to run low on available disk. Can't find any references to clearing
    >or deleting them.
    >
    >Chris
    >(Running Avira Antivir Personal on Win2K)

    I have no antivi*.vdf on my PC at all. All my definitions are
    in vbase*.vdf files.
    So yes, you can probably delete them all.
    []'s

    PS Cookie Cleaner has an option to "clean" Avira files. You
    will lose all your log files though.
    --
    Don't be evil - Google 2004
    We have a new policy - Google 2012

    Shadow, Apr 18, 2012

  2. Shadow

    FredW Guest

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:56:25 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote:
    >"Shadow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:38 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Can the old virus definition update files be deleted with impunity ? I

    >have
    >> >found a large number of files named antivir*.vdf (and zip file versions)

    >and
    >>
    >> I have no antivi*.vdf on my PC at all. All my definitions are
    >> in vbase*.vdf files.
    >> So yes, you can probably delete them all.
    >> []'s
    >>
    >> PS Cookie Cleaner has an option to "clean" Avira files. You
    >> will lose all your log files though.

    >I can't see any option in CCleaner on my system for dealing with Avira
    >files.
    >Would be quite happy to lose the log files

    I have also no antiv*.vdf files in Windows 7.

    In CCleaner -> Cleaner / Applications / Utilities
    there you can select AntiVir Desktop

    In Avira Free Antivirus
    Configuration (F8) / General / Events or Reports
    there you can limit the number kept.

    --
    Fred W. (NL)

    FredW, Apr 18, 2012

  3. Shadow

    VanguardLH Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > "Shadow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:38 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can the old virus definition update files be deleted with impunity ? I

    > have
    >>>found a large number of files named antivir*.vdf (and zip file versions)

    > and
    >>>they are taking a significant amount of space on my old desktop which is
    >>>starting to run low on available disk. Can't find any references to

    > clearing
    >>>or deleting them.
    >>>
    >>>Chris
    >>>(Running Avira Antivir Personal on Win2K)

    >> I have no antivi*.vdf on my PC at all. All my definitions are
    >> in vbase*.vdf files.
    >> So yes, you can probably delete them all.
    >> []'s
    >>
    >> PS Cookie Cleaner has an option to "clean" Avira files. You
    >> will lose all your log files though.
    >> --
    >> Don't be evil - Google 2004
    >> We have a new policy - Google 2012

    > I can't see any option in CCleaner on my system for dealing with Avira
    > files.
    > Would be quite happy to lose the log files

    Don't know how you got from Cookie Cleaner to CCleaner. Cookie Cleaner
    is a separate product than CCleaner whose original name was Crap
    Cleaner, not Cookie Cleaner.

    Since you're asking about CCleaner, go under its Options -> Include
    section to add the folder where are the log files that you want CCleaner
    to delete.

    VanguardLH, Apr 18, 2012
  4. Shadow

    Shadow Guest

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:56:25 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote:

    >"Shadow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:38 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Can the old virus definition update files be deleted with impunity ? I

    >have
    >> >found a large number of files named antivir*.vdf (and zip file versions)

    >and
    >> >they are taking a significant amount of space on my old desktop which is
    >> >starting to run low on available disk. Can't find any references to

    >clearing
    >> >or deleting them.
    >> >
    >> >Chris
    >> >(Running Avira Antivir Personal on Win2K)

    >> I have no antivi*.vdf on my PC at all. All my definitions are
    >> in vbase*.vdf files.
    >> So yes, you can probably delete them all.
    >> []'s
    >>
    >> PS Cookie Cleaner has an option to "clean" Avira files. You
    >> will lose all your log files though.
    >> --
    >> Don't be evil - Google 2004
    >> We have a new policy - Google 2012

    >I can't see any option in CCleaner on my system for dealing with Avira
    >files.
    >Would be quite happy to lose the log files

    Open CCleaner (version 3.17) ---> Applications ---> Utilities
    ----> Antivir Desktop.
    Right click and choose analyze before you check the box, just
    in case.
    []'s

    Shadow, Apr 19, 2012
  5. Shadow

    VanguardLH Guest

    Shadow wrote:

    > Open CCleaner (version 3.17)
    > ---> Applications
    > ---> Utilities
    > ----> Antivir Desktop.
    > Right click and choose analyze before you check the box, just in case.

    I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
    yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
    section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:

    7-Zip
    Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426)
    WinPatrol

    That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
    the log folder to delete all files there.

    VanguardLH, Apr 19, 2012
  6. Shadow

    FredW Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Shadow wrote:
    >
    >> Open CCleaner (version 3.17)
    >> ---> Applications
    >> ---> Utilities
    >> ----> Antivir Desktop.
    >> Right click and choose analyze before you check the box, just in case.

    >I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
    >yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
    >section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:
    >
    >7-Zip
    >Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426)
    >WinPatrol
    >
    >That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
    >the log folder to delete all files there.

    I have CCleaner version 3.17.1689 (64-bit)
    Under Applications / Utilities I can select:
    - AntiVir Desktop
    - Malwarebytes Anti Malware
    - Windows Defender
    - WinPatrol
    - WinRAR
    No 7-Zip
    No Avast

    Maybe you can select only software installed on your PC?

    --
    Fred W. (NL)

    FredW, Apr 19, 2012
  7. Shadow

    Shadow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    > I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
    > yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
    > section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:
    >
    > 7-Zip
    > Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426) WinPatrol
    >
    > That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
    > the log folder to delete all files there.

    I have loads of entries. All of them installed. Maybe it only
    shows what you have installed ? I have 7-zip. But not Avast or Winpatrol.

    []'s

    Shadow, Apr 20, 2012
  8. Shadow

    VanguardLH Guest

    Shadow wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
    >> yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
    >> section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:
    >>
    >> 7-Zip
    >> Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426) WinPatrol
    >>
    >> That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
    >> the log folder to delete all files there.

    > I have loads of entries. All of them installed. Maybe it only
    > shows what you have installed ? I have 7-zip. But not Avast or Winpatrol.
    >
    > []'s

    That could be. Chris said he has MalwareBytes. I have that installed
    but it isn't listed as a utility in CCleaner. Maybe you need the
    payware version installed for CCleaner to list MalwareBytes.

    VanguardLH, Apr 20, 2012
  9. Shadow

    Bear Guest

    VanguardLH <> wrote in news:jmscbg$7hd$:

    > Shadow wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest
    >>> version) yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the
    >>> Utilities section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3
    >>> entries:
    >>>
    >>> 7-Zip
    >>> Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426) WinPatrol
    >>>
    >>> That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to
    >>> include the log folder to delete all files there.

    >> I have loads of entries. All of them installed. Maybe it only
    >> shows what you have installed ? I have 7-zip. But not Avast or
    >> Winpatrol.
    >>
    >> []'s

    > That could be. Chris said he has MalwareBytes. I have that installed
    > but it isn't listed as a utility in CCleaner. Maybe you need the
    > payware version installed for CCleaner to list MalwareBytes.

    you can list anything you want with Ccleaner in the ini file.

    --
    Bear
    http://bearware.info

    Bear, Apr 20, 2012
  10. Shadow

    Shadow Guest

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:10:50 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Shadow wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
    >>> yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
    >>> section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:
    >>>
    >>> 7-Zip
    >>> Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426) WinPatrol
    >>>
    >>> That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
    >>> the log folder to delete all files there.

    >> I have loads of entries. All of them installed. Maybe it only
    >> shows what you have installed ? I have 7-zip. But not Avast or Winpatrol.
    >>
    >> []'s

    >That could be. Chris said he has MalwareBytes. I have that installed
    >but it isn't listed as a utility in CCleaner. Maybe you need the
    >payware version installed for CCleaner to list MalwareBytes.

    Move ccleaner ini file somewhere safe. (I presume you are
    using the portable version) . Fire up good old Regmon. . You will see
    CCleaner searches all the software sections of Current User and Local
    Machine in the registry, and adds a pre-set list of the findings to
    the interface. You can then opt-in or out of them.
    Replace your old ccleaner ini file.
    Dunno why your malwarebytes does not show up. Mine is the free
    version.
    []'s

    Shadow, Apr 21, 2012