Raspberry Pi ... for £25

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My pie has been cooking for six days now with that Play power adapter £3.70 I mentioned before Flops.
The 3 micro usb cables £1.98 inc p+p I got from flea bay are fine.
The £1 sdhc card reader from PoundLand works just dandy.
The usb mouse from Morrisons £3 works well.
Logic 4 port LP4HUB10 powered hub from Dixons £12.99 works with a mouse and a 8 GB stick. Have not tried it with anything else.
£3.20 inc p+p SanDisk C4 4GB SDHC from Play works ok.

Arch, Window Maker,NetSurf,spacefm,leafpad and xterm all seem to work very well.

Happy cooking. :D

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I rather fancy the barbaric one has 'trailblazed' more than myself with the Pi ;)

Nice link(s) TC. The powered USB hub I tried that wouldn't work is a Logik LP7HUB11 7 port device. I note that the Logik LP4HUB11 is listed as a working device, which seems odd.

Reading the comments on one link it advised that some USB hubs' circuit boards were 'unpopulated' with capacitors, the spaces and holes in board being there but no capacitors and that supplying and soldering in capacitors often made the hub work with the Rasberry Pi.

I have just checked the inside of my 7 port Logik hub and the pcb is fully populated so no go there :(

Guess I'll just have to try and get hold of one of the listed working hubs.

I came across a thread dealing with modifying 7 port hubs, a simple case of running one wire from a to b. It was the official Raspberry Pi forum thought I had saved the link but it appears not.
Might be worth your while having a looksee. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1605

We are pleased to announce the release of our first SD card image based on the Raspbian distribution. This is the result of an enormous amount of hard work by Alex and Dom over the past couple of months, and replaces the existing Debian squeeze image as our recommended install. Notably, it is the first official image to take full advantage of the Raspberry Pi’s floating point hardware for, amongst other things, much faster web browsing.

:)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'll give that a go cos web browsing has been distinctly slow so far. UK sites not so bad but further afield very slow.

I found the same thing.

What are you using as a browser ? I found NetSurf a bit better than Midori. FF is just too bloated. Chrome or its equivalent may be the best but I@m darned if I can find it for Arch.I take it you are using Debian.

:)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
A Raspberry Pi computer has boldly gone where no other Pi has gone before.
High-altitude ballooning enthusiast Dave Akerman tethered one, complete with a webcam to photograph its progress, to a helium balloon.
The bare-bones computer managed to reach an altitude of almost 25 miles (40km) before the balloon popped and it returned to Earth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18900862

breakfast.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Running ArchArm still. Did some minor overclocking and "dd'd" the install to a Class 10 Ultra 8 GB card and the old Pi runs along very sweetly now.
Finally got a audio player to work. That is "moc" a cli player easy to use and plays nice and clear with no crackling.

Thats all for now folks.Have a few pics of the Pi and me home made case if anyone is interested.

:cool:

http://imgur.com/a/scgMy#0

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thought this might cheer you up flops
th_thtante.gif
Posted on another forum I frequent.
Running Raspbian "Wheezy" official build now. WiFi working once I found an updated driver. ssh server on and omxplayer installed by default. Played an .mp4 over the WiFi from a Samba share. Wow! Amazing video quality over HDMI (1080p). The hardware-float build is amazingly fast.

Looks like ya did not waste your money on that Pi. All you need to do now is a little cooking. At least it will make a change from soup
tease.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... you must have a Fedora Project account, you must have signed Fedora Project Contributor Agreement, you must be a member of at least one non-CLA/FPCA Fedora group and must be a legal resident of participating country/region.

... there are NO free lunches. :rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
... you must have a Fedora Project account, you must have signed Fedora Project Contributor Agreement, you must be a member of at least one non-CLA/FPCA Fedora group and must be a legal resident of participating country/region.

... there are NO free lunches. :rolleyes:

If you are ever in the lakes I'll give you a free lunch
fish.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks Ababrb, I may just toodle back there then, good idea :)

'sides, I got me freedom pass now, don't cost me nuffink 'cept time. Or if I'm feeling energetic, could always use me bike.

As I mentioned elsewhere haven't played wiv me Pi much, will have to load that new version of Debian that's meant to be quicker. Not soon though, panicking on getting a job finished atm, Tues - Fri gonna be intense pour moi :eek:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I can always Dropbox a fully updated Arch Arm for you.Only thing you would have to alter would be the boot.txt to suit your modern tv.

Good luck with the work. :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1839

But that’s what we’ve done – so from today, you’ll be able to purchase an MPEG-2 decode licence which will be tied to your Raspberry Pi’s unique serial number. This will allow you to play MPEG-2 material from XBMC and omxplayer, which hasn’t been an available feature before now.

Recent versions of Raspbmc, XBian and OpenELEC (the OpenELEC site was down as of the time of writing, but should be back soon) now include CEC support. Before I go any further, here’s a video explaining what that’s all about.

£2.40 seems reasonable to me. The whole article is worth a look as is the video if you are going to use a Pi as a media centre.

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ironic eh? View anything for free on MS's Windows yet Open Source software want money for the same privilege.

Colour me confused :confused:

Actually, I do understand, some Distros are actually taking chances being media playback enabled, Suse, for instance, still don't supply those facilities to stay within the law, takes a bit of jiggling/searching to enable DVD playback in Suse. Whereas in Mint you're good to go from the off.

I wouldn't mind paying £2.40 though.

So, today I just raised the big ladder, got set to climb up with a fistful of cable ties and..... the heavens opened up :eek:

Such is life :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Decided to have another mess with the Pi, now have the same powered hub as Abarb (Currys done the exchange ok) and have downloaded the latest Wheezy Debian from Here

But the checksums don't match :confused:

I could just load it to memory card but wondered if anybody had any ideas about this?

I've also just ordered a see through acrylic case for £4.18 inc from Ebay.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://opensource.com/education/12/9/occidentalis-raspberry-pi-story

Most recently, Adafruit released a Linux distribution based on Raspbian (a Debian-based distribution). It is called Occidentalis, which takes its name from the black rasperry, rubus occidentalis.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/09/lego-super-gallery/

Wanna Build a Supercomputer? You’ll Need Legos and Raspberry Pis…

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/tutorials/raspberry-pi-media-centre-tutorial/

Build your very own media centre out of a Raspberry Pi to save on space and money using XBMC

http://xbian.org/?page_id=17

What is XBian?
XBian is a fined tuned and optimized OS for the raspberry pi based on raspbian. It is focused on the popular XBMC software. So the perfect OS for your raspberry pi media center setup!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2008

What does this mean? Comparing the new image with 1GHz turbo enabled, against the previous image at 700MHz, nbench reports 52% faster on integer, 64% faster on floating point and 55% faster on memory.

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All well and good but my checksums still don't match, lol ;)

I'm going to revisit mine soon, I bought a 16Gb Sandisk Extreme III (or Ultra, can't remember which) for my camera recently so that freed up a second 4Gb SD card so I now have a choice of 2 OS's to use.

The clear acrylic case (on Ebay for £4.18 inc) is great, love it to bits.

I've been using a spare 24" Monitor with this but daughter person moving back in mid October which kinda restricts storage space so may flog Samsung 245B and get a smaller monitor for Pi (maybe even get one of those CCTV hand held test screens).

I rather like the idea of a Pi-based Media Centre.

Apparently RS should supply the 2nd one I ordered this month but no sign of it yet.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Raspbian “wheezy”

If you’re just starting out, this is the image we recommend you use. It’s a reference root filesystem from Alex and Dom, based on the Raspbian optimised version of Debian, and containing LXDE, Midori, development tools and example source code for multimedia functions.
Torrent 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian.zip.torrent Direct download 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian.zip SHA-1 3bc788d447bc88feaae8382d61364eaba1088e78 Default login Username: pi Password: raspberry

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

I used the torrent from here and everything was ok.

Can you not use your tv for the pi.An you can ssh into it from your pc easily.It is a doddle for penguins.

Any pics of the case ?

Apparently RS should supply the 2nd one I ordered this month but no sign of it yet.

Same here. :(

Ask a Question