Raspberry Pi ... for £25

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bloody hell! Missed that SD card socket under the board - doh :blush:

And I've downloaded both MagPi mags and browsed them but obviously missed that bit.

It's a little late atm but will try starting Rasberry Pi again tomorrow.

Haven't ordered from E-Buyer yet but I figure a powered USB hub is probably a good idea whether or not it's needed for the Pi or not plus I need some other stuff like blank CD-R's and DVD-R's so will probably place order tomorrow.

Fancy missing that slot - what a doofus! :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Everyone is cooking their own version of Pi.You must be cooking a Guinness Pi :lol:
ZFMmT.png

I got one of these as a power supply.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/13417253/-/Product.html

• Input: AC100-240W 0.1A 50-60Hz
  • Output: DC 5V 1000mA MAX
It has the required 5v and is 250mA higher than the needed 750 mA.

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Everyone is cooking their own version of Pi.You must be cooking a Guinness Pi :lol:
ZFMmT.png

I got one of these as a power supply.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/13417253/-/Product.html

• Input: AC100-240W 0.1A 50-60Hz
  • Output: DC 5V 1000mA MAX
It has the required 5v and is 250mA higher than the needed 750 mA.

:cool:

I know what PSU you have, you linked to it previously and I commented that I will probably get one the same as well. The PSU I'm using, if it's rating has been quoted correctly, is 1 amp, also 250ma more than the quoted required 750ma.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
startx....

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 288
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 213

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Jolly well done old chap. :thumb:

Is that Debian ?

Just one question of burning importance old bean. Did you get a free T-shirt ?? An what size is it ?? Bally halfwit suppliers sent me a "M" instead of the "XL" I ordered. Most inconvenient and a proper shambles what what. :cool:

MsMNR.jpg

As you can see the bally thing just do not fit my screen. Guess I'll have to order a smaller screen which means a most inconvenient wait. Darned nuisance what with the
Smiley-IPB-400.gif
season in full sway. Got to bag those pesky tennis balls vefore they damage the flowers what what.
breakfast.gif

Best of luck with the pie
th_0142.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, Debian (as mentioned in previous post as well as reference to psu) and no, no T-Shirt pour moi, this one came from Farnell. Jiffy bag, cardboard box, anti-static bag, Rasberry Pi. That's it.

I'm going to try Arch though, I only loaded Debian as I thought Arch wasn't working (before I discovered sd card slot on board).

Magpi magazine issue 03 is out now btw.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You did not miss much with the T-shirt though it is a Hanes 100% cotton one.
My Pi came from Farnell too. I think that you had to be one of the first to show interest, registered in April.
Cheers for the thumbs up about the MagPi 3.

Arch can be a tad tricky to set up. I had to use a second pc so that I could follow the on-line Beginners Guide as I went along. :lol:
Mind you once set up it has been rock solid and easy to maintain and pretty darn fast.
:D

http://daves-slackbuilds.comlu.com/raspi/

You could always try Slackware on the Pi. Setup looks a little daunting but it may be easier to maintain than Arch. :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bought a powered 7 port usb hub from PC World today for £20 (Made by Logik) and it does not work with the Raspberry Pi. Loaded three mp3 albums to desktop from usb stick and tried to play them. They would not play and the files appeared to have French titles in the Debian Audio Player when in fact they all had English titles.

Overall, Debian and Raspberry Pi together operate very slowly. To be quite honest, I am fast going off this thing, it is not doing what I want it to.

Considering another distro but Slackware beyond my ken I think, I'm not that Linux-savvy.

I'll give it a while but I may abandon this thing.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Strange that the powered usb hub does not work.

What are you wanting to do with the Pi ??

I may be able to offer some help or even upload a (updated and with installed programs) image of Arch or Slackware for you.

I do however have a glitch to sort out. I have been reading micro usb as mini usb so I have a Pi but no cable. Still I found a supplier that is sending me 3 cables for the price of 2 with free postage a whooping £1.98 total cost. So now I am just sitting twiddling me thumbs. :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have ordered a 4Gb SD card for permanent use with the Raspberry as I was using my second camera card and I've also ordered one of those PSU's from Play.com that you linked to Mr Abarb. Whch does kinda indicate I haven't given up completely ;)

Biggest prob is USB connectivity, I do need the ability to connect several more devices. I used my non-powered 4 way USB hub and it worked ok with keyboard and mouse but wouldn't read a usb stick. Quite odd.

When card and psu arrive I'm going to try Arch and hope I have more luck being able to play mp3 files.

Pi as Media Centre

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have ordered a 4Gb SD card for permanent use with the Raspberry as I was using my second camera card and I've also ordered one of those PSU's from Play.com that you linked to Mr Abarb. Whch does kinda indicate I haven't given up completely ;)

Biggest prob is USB connectivity, I do need the ability to connect several more devices. I used my non-powered 4 way USB hub and it worked ok with keyboard and mouse but wouldn't read a usb stick. Quite odd.

When card and psu arrive I'm going to try Arch and hope I have more luck being able to play mp3 files.

Pi as Media Centre

If you are going to try Arch you will need to do a lot of reading.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture

It might look daunting but it is pretty easy once you get into it. Half of the stuff in the wiki's is not really relevant to most users. So it is a question of recognising which bits are needed. You should have no problems.
breakfast.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Arch Arm up and running on me Pi.

Just a few configs to sort out and I should have a full os running just like on me big pc albeit a little slower.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Arch Pi boots in 20 seconds. Window Maker is me desktop manager and spacefm is me file manager.
Looks a bit strange as I am using a standard 22" old tv. Still it is up and running.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Pi now has Arch using Midori as the browser. Cooking pies is great fun.
th_0142.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Dumped Midori and now use NetSurf much better.Leafpad as a text editor. Sound works.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I now have the mains adapter & lead and dedicated 4Gb memory card but haven't fired the thing up again yet. Looking at reviews of usb hubs on suppliers' sites such as E-Buyer I notice lots of Rasberry Pi users pointing out that many of the hubs won't work with it. I just wish a Pi user would say which ones do work with it.

Reaction score
think of yourself as a trailblazer for us all fbs.:lol:
then when we go and buy one you can sit back & offer us your all wise words on the matter!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I notice lots of Rasberry Pi users pointing out that many of the hubs won't work with it. I just wish a Pi user would say which ones do work with it.
There's a user group discussion with some recommendations re hubs, going on HERE. Not sure if it will help, fingers crossed. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
think of yourself as a trailblazer for us all fbs.:lol:
then when we go and buy one you can sit back & offer us your all wise words on the matter!

I rather fancy the barbaric one has 'trailblazed' more than myself with the Pi ;)

Nice link(s) TC. The powered USB hub I tried that wouldn't work is a Logik LP7HUB11 7 port device. I note that the Logik LP4HUB11 is listed as a working device, which seems odd.

Reading the comments on one link it advised that some USB hubs' circuit boards were 'unpopulated' with capacitors, the spaces and holes in board being there but no capacitors and that supplying and soldering in capacitors often made the hub work with the Rasberry Pi.

I have just checked the inside of my 7 port Logik hub and the pcb is fully populated so no go there :(

Guess I'll just have to try and get hold of one of the listed working hubs.

Ask a Question