Random screen flickering

Reaction score
A windows file deleted itself, so I re-installed Windows. So far, so good-ish. Now my screen flickers randomly, especially on startup, which it never did before. Also, When I try to up the resolution in UT2004 (specifially to 1280x1024), I get a "signal out of range" thing on my monitor, and it wont display a picture, although the sound is still ok. My drivers are all up to date.

Any ideas?

Kenny :)

Reaction score
OK... now THIS is WE-IRD!

Before the re-install, my desktop was 1024x768, but I played my games at 1280x1024, no problems, everyones happy.

NOW (post re-install): my desktop was at 1024x768, but UT2004 wouldnt play at 1280x1024, but I tried putting my desktop to... yup, u guessed, 1280x1024 and the game is fine!

SO: Does anyone know why this is happening? I have a 17" CRT and to have my desktop at 1280x1024 is a pain (literally, on the eyes)

Thanks again

Kenny

Reaction score
i would suggest uninstalling your graphic cards drivers and then reinstalling them

i do beleive this will sort out the problem!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Although video drivers are quite essential, and it's always important to at least try the latest, people forget they should at least try to install there 'monitor' drivers as well.
:)

Reaction score
Yes, Chris, by itself. I went thru to the living room to talk to el flatmate and came back to find a black screen of death with something like "cant find file windows/system/system32/config/system" or something lilke that

Im wasnt even at my comp!

Could I have been hacked or virused?

Hey Mucks... I`ve always used Windows default monitor drivers, have had no hassle

PSD: will try that later today. Nowt to lose :)

Thanks to y`all :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
CSUnited14 said:
yea are monitor drivers all that important?? if so im gonna dl mine :p
No ... drivers aren’t important ... they're essential. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
On nearly every PC I see, I find that the OS does not know what the monitor is. It is easily found and a quick 'Google' usually points you in the right direction for the current drivers.

Monitor drivers help the Graphics Card, not to mention the OS itself, determine the limitation or potential that your monitor can display. If you constantly suffer from headaches while in front of your PC then I would suspect your CRT 'refresh rate' (screen flicker) is set incorrectly ... without the correct monitor drivers this can be impossible to correct.

It is also important to set the “screen resolution” correctly … 17/19” monitors are best viewed at 1024 x 768 … that is what is recommended, but you can use higher or lower settings, however, that may well affect how long a monitor will last. Try to at least set the ‘refresh rate’ to 75/85Hz you may be able to achieve a higher stetting but that will be reflected in the screen resolution also.

I am of course mainly talking about CRT monitors ... although it is still a benefit to your system to use the correct drivers if possible with any LCD/TFT monitor.

:thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
What if i have a older CRT and i never had a problem with 60Hz? should i still change it?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Alf said:
What if i have a older CRT and i never had a problem with 60Hz? should i still change it?
I can't look at a CRT for more than 10seconds @ 60Hz without feeling dizzy ... and it really does hurt my eyes.

Your eyes may not "see" the problem but your brain does ... its a default setting so that you can at least see a picture on the screen, if you cannot get at least 75Hz out of it then I would urge you to replace it.

It's your health, but it won't kill you. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I can't look at a CRT for more than 10seconds @ 60Hz without feeling dizzy ... and it really does hurt my eyes.

I get the same problem when I use other PC's that are set to 60Hz, I get funny looks from people when I can't look at the screen without wincing! After setting the users computer to 100Hz, they don't see any difference - but try bumping it back down to 60Hz after a week and they will see it ;)

Even 5+ year old monitors should be able to do 75/85Hz without a problem at most resolutions. Try changing those drivers Alf and upping the refresh rate, it does make a difference, I promise :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i tried it once before all i notice is my viewing area shrunk (ill change width and height) and i seemed to take a performace hit with my older video card.
I really never had headache at 60hz, but ill change it to 75hz and see whats it like for the week.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Alf said:
i tried it once before all i notice is my viewing area shrunk (ill change width and height) and i seemed to take a performace hit with my older video card.
I really never had headache at 60hz, but ill change it to 75hz and see whats it like for the week.
It will 'shrink' on some monitors ... what monitor are we on about?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Fixed the shrinking thing, so far i havnt noticed any real difference (guess time will tell) as for the monitor.... lets just say its really old.

Ask a Question