Radio One

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Radio One. John Peel died around six months ago.
I regularly listened to Radio One each evening, mostly cos I thought it had spirit.

Maybe it’s me but since Peelie passed on, Radio One’s lost it.

Now, I must admit, I been listening to Radio One since the day it started, I moved over from the Pirate stations.

And I know Radio One is making a conscious effort to rid itself of it’s old fartie hanger-ons, like me, and shift us all over to Radio Two.

The hell with that, Radio Two? Man, I ain’t nostalgic, I want to hear new stuff, not regurgitated memories.

An often overlooked fact is that shortly before his death, the powers that be moved John Peel to a later slot. No more 9pm – 11pm or even 10pm – midnight, no, his show was to run from 1am to 3am. Sacrilege, imo, but it didn’t matter, cos John died anyway.

I’m listening to Radio One right now, it’s OK, but something is definitely missing.

Perhaps it is because I’m old, I dunno.

Fact is, after all these years, I’ve lost faith in Radio One. I suppose old age hits us all eventually.

So now I’m listening mostly to XFM and sometimes, Kiss.

In my opinion, Radio One have lost it in trying to keep it. They are trying too hard. Some things are almost sacred, the BBC just killed something.

Listening to John Peel used to be a highlight for me. Now, on Radio One, there are no highlights, none whatsoever. It’s odd, but it’s as if something more than a DJ died when Peelie passed on, it’s almost as if the whole structure of Radio One died with him.

Any other Radio listeners here? What you think?

Reaction score
Alrite Flops

I listen to the radio a lot, but tbh I have never liked radio 1, i just think the BBC are very greedy and stingy at the same time!So i cant comment on what you were relating to.

My main stations consist of , Kiss FM, Magic FM, Heart106.2, Choice FM, JazzFM, and Capital 95.8

Must also note this other station i used to listen to a lot , Talk Sport and the James Whale show.
but that was a long time ago! :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, I always liked Radio One, they've had their ups and downs I suppose, but now, it no good anymore, imo.

Magic, Heart & Choice are all oldies stations and Jazz FM isn't Jazz anymore, they may as well call it old Tamla, Stax and Soul oldies FM :D Jazz FM was good when it started, but didn't attract many listeners, so they went mainstream.

Capital 95.8 is OK in small doses, but if you listen to it all day, they actually seem to loop about twenty records interspersed with guaranteed 'feelgood' oldies. Too predictable for me.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i listen to capital when on the pc , radio 1 when driving usually chris moyles and the colin and edith show, and i listen to kiss when working but kiss does get kind of boring because the tracks ae repeated roughly every hour

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Flops

I have never been that keen on Radio 1 I am sad to say other than in the 1970s and early 1980s - I just LUURVE Radio 2 and have spent many happy hours driving around the country listening to the various day time programmes. Oh yes, Radio 4 as well.

Sorry if that sounds deadly boring!

Gabriella x

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Watcha Flopp's

Your definitley a bit down over Peelies death aren't you, you can almost feel it in your words..He was a top man and Jock but i think he would have made way at some point as he was just being pushed up the schedule to later and later slots until he probably couldn't have taken anymore and left just like when they forced Dave Lee-Travis out....

I can't say i have been an avid radio 1 listener but used to love listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon (he used to crack me up) and Peel'ie in the evenings now and again....:)

I mainly listen to Virgin radio now in the daytime and James Whale in the evenings on Talksport..

I find Kiss and some of the other stations to monotonous they play the same 15 records constantly every two hours or change of dj whichever comes first..:(

As for the whole structure of Radio one dying with Peel'ie yes i think you might have something there but i think the structure was being torn down as far back as 1987 when they started moving slots and firing long-term big name Jocks such as Simon Powell, Wrighty, DLT, and others..Peel'ie to me was the last of the Breed of real Jocks that kept radio 1 on an equal footing with other big name commercial stations...

We all know that people can't go on forever just look at Chris Tarrant and what he did for Capital radios breakfast slot, but the people replacing these Jocks are poor stand-ins and just don't have the personality needed to carry the stations they represent forward in my view, they follow like sheep the playlists that are given them and never dare to deviate from them through fear of the wrath of the fat controller...you know what peel'ie and the others would have said to that don't you...:D and thats whats needed someone to stick two fingers up and say b*****ks to that i'm playing something different...

But no that ain't gonna happen....Not for a while anyway....:p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yer same as the rest never been a big fan of Radio 1.

Virgin is the station i lisen to they play new songs and some great classics. Espcially late at night the song they play are fantastic. Easy -going lisening but at the same time beautiful songs. During the day tho they play some fantastic classics but also play the new stuff which i love :thumb:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I've always listened to radio1, and have always enjoyed it. Sure they do seem to just loop some of the current tracks on some of the shows, bu then thats what a lot of the pop fans want.

Radio 1 is one of the biggest radio stations in the world! and unfortunately this means that they have to loop all of the pop tunes, but through out different hours of the day they try to offer shows to please most music fans from pop to rock to indie etc.

It hasent been the same since John Peel passed on i must admit, and i do miss listening to his commments on his shows, the man was a legend. If i were to choose someone to try and take over where Peel left off, it'd have to be Zane Low as he seems to have the right attitude and a simlar love of music as Peel did...although NO-ONE can truely replace him.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments in this thread :)

I've always quite liked Radio One, mostly the stuff that was played in the evenings.

I've always woken up in the morning and switched Radio One on, since, well, a long time ago :D

But I can't stand that Chris Moyles geezer and his bunch of sycophants, I just wanna give him a slap :mad: He must talk for 75% of the time, I don't need all that first thing in the morning.

So now I switch on XFM first thing :)

As for the old school of DJ's, I'm glad they put the likes of Noel Edmunds, Dave Lee Travis and Simon Bates out to grass, they were definitely old school and antiquated. Tony Blackburn as well for that matter.

Johnny Walker was good though.

But Peel was different to all that lot, although he was there at the off, his own unique style never changed right up until his death, except maybe he put more records on at the wrong speed or played the wrong track more often, lol

A lot of my friends listen to Radio Two, I've tried but it just grates on me. Everything is cosy and nice. I want something a little more exhilarating meself.

When I said in the first post here that Radio One had lost it, I should have mentioned I meant the evening shows primarily. I'm not even sure who's on during the daytime now, is Jo Whiley still doing stuff?

Anyways, that was my little rant, thanks for listening and contributing :)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Flops

I think you hit the nail on the head for me ref: feeling like you want to slap some of the Radio 1 DJs.

Sometimes it's like being between a rock and a hard place - you either put up with people you want to slap, radio stations that are completely full of adverts and drive you insane or cosy down with Radio 2. There's alot of stuff on Radio 2 that I don't like and hardly ever anything after 7pm that takes my fancy. The woman that precedes Terry Wogan rather gets to my nerves so I don't 'do' her very often unless on a very long journey, setting off v early cos you can't knock Radio 2 for their traffic information!! I do quite like 'Pause for Thought' which has some very interesting interfaith persepectives.

That's just me though!!

Have a good week-end

Gabriella x

Ask a Question