Playing without game dics?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a way to play computer games without having to put the disc in the drive. Is there a way to do that? because i know my computer doesnt use the disc to load anything, it not that im lazy but i'd rather have more convience, you know? just wondering.

Reaction score
yeah, on the internet for most games, there will be a NOCD crack, just do a google search for the game then NOCD crack

ie for GTA VC

"Grand Theft Auto Vice City nocd crack"

I have to ask, is the reason you want one because you are lazy, or you do not have the disk (An illegal instillation)?

KGB

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I dont use game discs ever, there a hassle when you got loads of games. So i get all my cracks from www.gamecopyworld.com , most are extrememly simple to do, just copy and paste over the existing file, but some can be a little hassle. They normally come with a readme anyway. Good luck.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, I use GameCopyWorld but MegaGames has a bigger archive.

Another way is use a virtual disc program, where the entire contents of the game are copied to the hard disk and the game sees the loaded data as a CD/DVD. Takes up a lot of disc space though.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I use a Virtual Disk program quite often for applications that use a few CDs to run, as I can store them all as an image on my server. Works well with almost any item!

Mind you, there are a few games I still run from CD as there is copy protection on them.

Reaction score
is this legal? nope, as a "crack" generally modifies copyrighted code.

plus when you download a crack, you are downloading an executable file which could do anything to your computer.

not saying i have never used cracks, but my understanding of this website was that it didn't condone illegal activities.

one rule for one???

J

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure if cracks are illegal are they? If they are, then this thread really shouldn't be open. I'm closing this for now until I find out otherwise (cheers Techy).

I know virtual CD drives arent illegal, as we use them at uni for mounting drives on machines without CD drives.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't find an answer to this question, it seems a big grey area. Some sites say cracks is legal if you bought the game, other not. CD Imaging is legal though, so if you want to play a game without the CD you must do that, ONLY if you own the original.

I'm re-opening this thread, but only if it keeps off the topic of cracks (until I find out more about them!).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I must say, I found this to be a whole grey area myself. My initial reaction was that a crack would be illegal, but after searching around I reached the conclusion if you owned the game, it was generally considered OK.

However, one cannot overlook the fact that certain game disks can be copied and the only way they'll run is with one of these cracks.

Both the sites mentioned in this thread have been there several years and have not been threatened with legal action (AFAIK) and have not been closed down. Unlike certain P2P sites and some that stored archives of audio CD sleeves.

I'm no lawyer, but my guess is that the software companies tolerate the sites. As for the exact legal position, I have not a clue, but I have read articles in magazines such as PC Zone saying it is actually legal in the UK to make backup copies of games you've legitimately purchased. But that's not really the issue here.

I guess the answer could be found in the small print of those agreements you agree to when you load the game, but I don't think I've ever read a one. And anyway, I think some of the things software publishers stipulate in those agreements aren't strictly legal themsleves.

I have carried links to both sites mentioned in this thread at other Forums for several years now without a problem. I use cracks myself, purely for the convenience of not having to load CD's for each game I play, as I have a lot of games loaded. I have purchased all the games I play, I might add.

Whether we're on dodgy ground or not discussing game cracks in this Forum, I'm not really sure, but as long as discussions don't err to warez and the like, I'd personally consider it safe.

Having said that, to be on the safe side, I'd have to say it would be wise for Ian to lock this thread and discourage/delete/ban any mention of it ever again. I mean, that would be really taking things to extremes, imo, but it would be the safest action to take.

Forums that dealt a lot with illegal activities have been closed. If cracks are illegal, or more importantly, if cracks irritate software publishers, we should be careful.

So, to sum up, I really don't know. Your decision, Ian ;)

Reaction score
it's still editing copyrighted code. generally a no cd crack replaces the edits/replaces the executable file. the way a crack works is that it will remove the line of code that checks that the cd is present.

if you own the game or app then i do not see a problem with this although strickly speaking it is breaking copyright law. i was looking for a section in the copyright act but it's huge and would take ages.

as floppy said it will most likely state something about this in the license agreement you agree to when installing the software, but i also have never had the urge to read one of these, although it may prove interesting to resolve this.

J

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll leave this open, mainly as it has raised an interesting topic that I want to get to the bottom of. ;) I don't think the intent of the thread was to promote illegal activity, so as long as it stays this way there isn't a problem (albeit slightly risqué!).

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hmm... i think i'll stay away from cracks, im not a fan of illegal programs.

Reaction score
Techy said:
it's still editing copyrighted code. generally a no cd crack replaces the edits/replaces the executable file. the way a crack works is that it will remove the line of code that checks that the cd is present.

if you own the game or app then i do not see a problem with this although strickly speaking it is breaking copyright law. i was looking for a section in the copyright act but it's huge and would take ages.

as floppy said it will most likely state something about this in the license agreement you agree to when installing the software, but i also have never had the urge to read one of these, although it may prove interesting to resolve this.

J

I registered just to say that I don't think it is breaking Copyright if you actually own the game. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe you would only be breaking Copyright be reproducing the game.

In Vice City for example, as someone mentioned earlier, there is a glitch where on some PC's the CD drive doesn't synch correctly with the game and thus does open. I am a victim of this. I came to the conclusion of a NoCD, so it doesn't have to synch, and it works fine.

However, it is kind of a nuisance at times. A lot of games don't work online without the disk, and game MOD's often require the original exe to work. One of GTAForums MOD's is the one that turns Vice into Liberty City; when I asked if it would work with a NoCD, they believed I had 'stolen' the game. I even took a picture of me holding the disk next to the screen whilst typing the message; and they said I probably borrowed the disk from a friend.

But, yeah, I think it's OK most of the time. I think developers ignore them on the logic they would rather be chasing people distributing the actual game files (textures etc).

Edit - really sorry if I bumped this and it's not allowed, I found it on Google, whilst trying to get to the bottom of this myself. And if it looks like it, I'm not trying to advertize GTAForums... I think all the people there are incompetent.

Reaction score
If game cracks where illegal then gamecopyworld would have been shut down years ago, aswell as megagames. Both very big websites.. they also both use disclaimers that state the use of cracks for no cd use only and not for running illegal versions of games. Most games now use serials, and this is a much more reliable way of keeping software secure. From what i gather no cd cracks are legal. Im not sure if they even modify code, i think they just stop certain processes of the code being executed (actually i suppose that might be considered modifying).

Ah well. Games companys will bring them out themselves as soon as games become on a pay monthly basis.

Ask a Question