Performance and chipsets

Reaction score
Am currently using an Asus A7V8X-X mobo, with a KT400 Northbridge. How much of a difference will there be in my computers performance if I get a mobo with a KT880 chipset (Asus A7V880 mobo)?
I think I`ll be able to push my processor a bit harder, and I`ll be able to use dual-channel memory... but is it worth the hassle of a computer strip-down and windows re-install? (opinions on both "types" of performance welcome- performance increases as seen by the human eye and benchmark results)

Cheers, as always

Kenny :)

Reaction score
I would have assumed that the nVidia nForce 2 motherboards currently wee all over anything Via has to offer at this moment in time.

I am definatly sure that the nForce 2 is better than the KT00 and KT600. Haven't heard all too much about the KT800.

I think Dual Channel memory offers something like a 3% increase in performance. Good to have, but i'm not sure what it will do for you. Best to have a matched pair of sticks also.

Have you looked into nForce 2 Motherboards at all? Is the A7N8X-E Deluxe one? Becuase it is very good.

Reaction score
Hey. Have had a small look at NForce2 boards. The KT880 is the closest competitor to the NForce2, although the reviews i`ve read still give the crown to the NForce chipset. The main advantage of the KT880 appeared to be its price- the A7N8XE-D is £20 more than the A7V880.
I know about using matched memory sticks in dual-channel mobos, but if the performance increase over single channel is only 3%, then I dont think its worth £90 for the memory upgrade I had planned (512 PC3200 Kingston, sell that and buy 1GB PC3700 Patriot), despite the higher FSB ceiling the Patriot would have.

Heres a new question based on what you said.... Whats gonna give the bigger performance increase- dual-channel memory or single sticks with low latencies?

Kenny :)

Reaction score
Even so, i think you would notice the most improvement with the A7N8X E Deluxe, i think it would be worth spending £55 on...

I'd say there is a noticable performance increase between CAS2 (2-6-3-3) and CAS3 (3-8-4-4) (2 being faster)

Not sure about your q though...

Ask a Question