PCI Express V's AGP

Reaction score
Sorry, i just thought i dont really know what the deal is with PCI express. I thought pci got replaced with agp? Is PCI express actually a new slot which is taking over from AGP now?

Bodhi.

Reaction score
PCI-E will take over totally yea. All the new graphics cards will prob be for PCI-E, especially those for SLI or dual-core ones. AGP cant handle them at all.

Reaction score
So it is a totally new slot then? I thought when they first came out that they were going to use the old pci slots, mind you, i guess i didnt really think about it too hard!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ya know what, I have still yet to see a PCI-e slot :D

I'm assuming it looks just like a PCI slot but is interfaced through a seperate motherboard chip. Or is it on the PCI bus? Time to do some homework....

Ignorance is bliss :D Oh no it isn't ;)

And yes, eventually, probably sooner than we think, AGP slots and cards will be extinct.

Reaction score
Don't feel bad bodhi, I found out about it right after I bought my new agp system 5 months ago. I guess all I have to do is change the motherboard, but, I just bought it!
icon8.gif

Reaction score
5 months??? I bought my A64 AGP mobo DAYS before PCI-E appeared for the A64... Thats the price i`ll pay in the long run for being impatient!
Love my mobo tho :) Tis very good

Kye

Reaction score
PCI-e is all good, but i wont be changing for a very long time. VIA came out with a intel chipset thingy that is AGP/PCI-e compatable ( Two slots for each ) and is also DDR1 and 2 compatable. Check on there site for details. Problem is, its intel only stuff.

Only upgrade for what you need now. Otherwise, stick with what you have intil it becomes too unpractical to keep. Sooner or later, prices drop ^_^

Reaction score
Truer words never spoken :) I heard that some graphics cards, in SLI mode caused stray capacitance coz of too many device (ie, 2) on the same bus. I was forced to learn about that in uni for PCI evolution. Obviously I wouldnt be happy to pay £XXX for that set-up for that to happen.

Moral: new tech normally needs time to settle, theres always bugs in new hard/software that need fixed- sometimes companies are too eager to start making money off a new product. Having said that, they need ppl to buy the product and find these problems. Necessary evil?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i plan on getting a PCI-E motherboard thats SLI compatable, eventually. i like the idea that i can grab anouther PCI-E compatable card and double my power. AGP will be around for a while but it'll eventually it'll lose steam. until then ill stay with AGP a bit longer.:p

Ask a Question