PC World = Buyers Beware!

Reaction score
Once Upon a Time .... I used to think that Packard Bell was THE name in computers.

But I bought my P/B iconnect from (watch out, dirty words coming up!") ... >>> PC WORLD <<<... 3 years ago and I have had nothing but trouble with a capital "T" ....... and NO support from Packard Bell whatsoever, except for sending me a new recovery disk (ages afterwards, when I finally became savvy, I found out that you don't need to re-format your computer 4 times in 3 monthes, thats just what PC World techs tell you to do to get you off the line!)

You see, when you buy Packard Bell from PC World, they have a deal together ... PC World and their £300 *coverplans* are supposed to look after you ... and Packard Bell won't touch you with a barge pole ... it's part of the deal.

Even when your monitor packs up, like mine has, and PC World take it away, promising you a new one .. and then send you something that is out of the Ark, not a P/B, something that is without speakers, or leads, that isn't compatible with your P/B ... but which they tell you is (covered by all their legal speak jargon small print) "equal to" ... except you can't get it working!

Ok, so phone P/B and tell them whats happening to their good name? .... They KNOW! They know that PC World cannot be bothered to repair your monitor, OR give you a new/reconditioned P/B one ... thats because the easy way out is for them to buy in monitors from some unknown WHOLESALE TRADE company and palm you off with one of them .. oh, AND finish your remaining 2 years left on the £300 *coverplan* warranty as well!!!!!

The real kick in the teeth is that PC World won't even return my monitor so that I can have it repaired myself. Why? Because they SELL them to a place in Leicester; that firm then repairs them and sells them on at a profit!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Packard Bells' last email to me said "Firstly we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for purchasing a Packard Bell product and hope that you are enjoying using it."

Well the answer is NO! I'm NOT enjoying using it, it's been a VERY sad, very expensive 3 year experience, and to me Packard Bell and PC World are dirty words and dirty companies for treating their customers so badly.

All the executives of these two companies should be disgusted and ashamed of themselves; and just HOW do they sleep at night???

Buyers Beware ... especially of PC WORLD, their associate shops (ie Dixons etc) and Packard Bell.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles and woes there M.G., unfortunately, if you buy one of these ready made systems, they're often below par and glitzed up to seem better than they are.

If you have just the tiniest bit of savvy or ask for help on a Forum such as this one, you can quite easily build your own, saving money and getting a much better system.

It really isn't that hard.

In my experience with PC World, they've actually been quite good. They've replaced faulty parts without a murmur which saves me the bother of having to rma something to an online supplier with all the necessary wait, hassle and postage involved.

Their component prices are now quite competitive as well.

Of course, it helps if you know what you're talking about if you have to return something.

I'm not pro-PC World, far from it, but sometimes, they are actually quite convenient.

Hope you get your problems sorted M.G. :(

Reaction score
When will people learn, pc world markets itself as a novice friendly shop, which basically means there friendly to their staff!

go with what floppy said it you want a better deal, the only downside to this is if something goes wrong your on your own.

All the best

J

Reaction score
PC World is onyl good because of the mass of marketing and the mass of people that know about them.

PC World itself doesn't build the computers they buy them in form other makers which means that in effect you are not buying form PC World only a showroom for the makers they sell machines on behalf of.

P/B for e.g. is a pain in the *** as you cant go out and buy any part you want, alot fo parts you get for P/B's you need to go throguh them for which can be a pain and more costly.

If your looking to get a machine my personal advice is ot go to a company that builds them directly that way your dealing with the makers and not the showrooms.

It will save you time and money in the long run.

Ask a Question