PC locking up when I access D: drive- HELP!

Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated...

I have the following system config:

Athlon XP 2800+
Abit NF7-S motherboard
1Gb DDR Ram
2 120Gb HDD (1 WD Caviar (C:) and 1 Seagate Barracuda (D:) )
Radeon 9700 Pro Video Card

Just started having a problem when I try to access my D: drive. I use the D: dive for making backup copies of movies, mainly for the kids, and as such, it is currently about 75% full. No matter what app I use, when I access this drive, it locks up the pc. The mouse won't move, I can't Ctl-Alt-Del, nothing! I have to turn it off or do a hard reset... I've tried just looking at the drive in Explorer, scanning the disk, defragmenting the disk, reading the disk with my copy program, etc.

Disk Defragmenter says the drive is like 76% fragmented and it should be defragged, but it won't work...

Any ideas? I guess I could wipe the drive and reformat it, since it's just data, I won't really lose anything, but I'd like to avoid that if possible, since I have approx. 20 movies stored on it, waiting to be burned...

Thanks,

Bill

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Try 'defrag' in Safe Mode. ;)

Which Windows is this?

Reaction score
as above,

run CHKDSK /F D: from a command prompt and say yes to run on next boot, then reboot the machine and let it run.

Reaction score
Sorry... I'm running XP Home

I'll try chkdsk and defrag in safe mode tonight...

Thanks,

Bill

Ask a Question