PC cannot boot up

G

Hi Guys,
I need your help. My PC cannot boot up. It only happen when I took one DDR SDRAM 512MB module out from port-1 because my System
Information read only 1024MB of RAM installed even though I used 3 modules of 512MB each and fully loaded which I expected to read a
total of 1536MB. I'm thinking if my PC indicated only 1024MB of RAM - what the heck of keeping the extra 512MB - I can give it away.

My sweet plan became sour. My PC cannot boot up any more - no matter how or what number or in combination modules I inserted in
port-1, port-2 & port-3. I even returned all 3 modules to it original ports and still does not work. My PC monitor show only black
screen and 2 alert Tone sounded liked European Police siren. The POST Codes LED show C1 and changed to C3 then stop there. The
motherboard is Epox 4G4A+ Pentium4 2.4GHz using 3 PC2100 memory modules of 512MB each.

This PC is my first one I built last October 2002. I never encountered any problem ever since and except now. Using Win-xp Pro and
Microsoft Office software. Before I proceed I always discharged static electricity by touching bare metal chassis and loosen 2 metal
screws by hand of side panel. I know to handled those modules by the edges and avoid in contact with metal connection or parts. I
have a static wrist band but never used.

Any tip or suggestion to boot up my PC will be appreciated. Sincerely, ---Rino

D

D.Currie

Hi Guys,
I need your help. My PC cannot boot up. It only happen when I took one DDR
SDRAM 512MB module out from port-1 because my System
Information read only 1024MB of RAM installed even though I used 3 modules
of 512MB each and fully loaded which I expected to read a
total of 1536MB. I'm thinking if my PC indicated only 1024MB of RAM - what
the heck of keeping the extra 512MB - I can give it away.

My sweet plan became sour. My PC cannot boot up any more - no matter how
or what number or in combination modules I inserted in
port-1, port-2 & port-3. I even returned all 3 modules to it original
ports and still does not work. My PC monitor show only black
screen and 2 alert Tone sounded liked European Police siren. The POST
Codes LED show C1 and changed to C3 then stop there. The
motherboard is Epox 4G4A+ Pentium4 2.4GHz using 3 PC2100 memory modules
of 512MB each.

Check the motherboard manual to see what the beep code and post codes mean.
It might be as simple as something that got bumped loose when you took the
RAM out.

P

Peter Foldes

Damaged the MOBO by any chance when pulling the modules out or pushing them in. Most likely

G

Hi D. Currie,
Thanks for your swift reply. C1 to C5 indicate Memory insert improperly. I cannot believe it because I already tried many times and
even laid my board flat down to have more push force when I insert those 3 modules. I know it sited properly. I even cleaned it with
damp cotton and vacuum it. No beep Codes available and no broken part. Your advice is welcome and appreciated.

Hi Guys,
I need your help. My PC cannot boot up. It only happen when I took one DDR
SDRAM 512MB module out from port-1 because my System
Information read only 1024MB of RAM installed even though I used 3 modules
of 512MB each and fully loaded which I expected to read a
total of 1536MB. I'm thinking if my PC indicated only 1024MB of RAM - what
the heck of keeping the extra 512MB - I can give it away.

My sweet plan became sour. My PC cannot boot up any more - no matter how
or what number or in combination modules I inserted in
port-1, port-2 & port-3. I even returned all 3 modules to it original
ports and still does not work. My PC monitor show only black
screen and 2 alert Tone sounded liked European Police siren. The POST
Codes LED show C1 and changed to C3 then stop there. The
motherboard is Epox 4G4A+ Pentium4 2.4GHz using 3 PC2100 memory modules
of 512MB each.

Check the motherboard manual to see what the beep code and post codes mean.
It might be as simple as something that got bumped loose when you took the
RAM out.

G

Hi Peter,
I actually push the 2 pair of white clips on either side (end) and the module will be released from the socket. In pushing them in I
always have caution by not pushing more force to avoid breaking the penolic board. Also, I never heard any breaking noise. Thanks
for your suggestion maybe you're right. Regard, --- Rino

Damaged the MOBO by any chance when pulling the modules out or pushing them in. Most likely

R

Richard Urban

You need to know exactly what the beep codes mean. Your M/B manual should
tell you. You can always go to the manufacturers web site for this
information.

Until you know you are hunting blindly for a problem!

As a last resort, jumper in another "known good" M/B to see if the problem
still exists. Lay the board on a piece of antistatic material on the desk
outside the computer. Make all your connections. Does the computer work now?
Yes = bad original M/B

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

G

Hi Richard,
Thanks for your suggestions - I know you expect my reply:
1. Regarding beeping sound - the manual and website does not say their Beep Codes.
2. Yes, you really hit the nail on the head - "Until you know you are hunting blindly for a
problem!"
3. Regarding jumper in another MoBo - it is easy said as done BUT not possible because either I use an older MoBo with PC133 memory
modules or I've to buy an upgrade MoBo using PC3200 or PC4400. The problem is always money and I'm not ready at this time. All I
want now is to diagnose this very MoBo and if all 3 RAM modules are defective or not and I'm pretty sure no other components are
involved because everything were fine before.

Another thing: I wish I could send all my message in long lines of sentences (wrap text) - see my previous post - they all not
compact as I originally composed. Please tell me the correct setting: I go to Tools > Options > Send tab > ticked (*) Plain Text
for News Sending Format > click, Plain Text Settings button > ticked (*) Uuencode > I set, 132 Characters for Automatically Wrap
Text when Sending. Also, I set 10 pt. Arial under Compose tab for News Compose Font.

Regards,
==Rino

You need to know exactly what the beep codes mean. Your M/B manual should
tell you. You can always go to the manufacturers web site for this
information.

Until you know you are hunting blindly for a problem!

As a last resort, jumper in another "known good" M/B to see if the problem
still exists. Lay the board on a piece of antistatic material on the desk
outside the computer. Make all your connections. Does the computer work now?
Yes = bad original M/B

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

G

Hi EveryOne,
I positively found the culprit. My motherboard DIMM1 one pin is broken lost or missing. The missing connection pin or tiny fin clip
is located at the upper left side pair No. 3 connector fins if counting down from the top when looking at the motherboard exact
mounting position inside computer case. DIMM1, DIMM2 & DIMM3 in that order.

Here's how I diagnosed it. I studied my manual and DIMM1 is the 'mother' while DIMM2 and DIMM3 are shared 'daughter'. The daughters
can only works along with their mother. Only DIMM1 (mother) can be use alone only or with DIMM2 or DIMM3 or used all three together.
If this is the case - anything happened to DIMM1 will triggered a domino effect that cause the problem I had because DIMM2 and DIMM3
cannot function alone or even together. If that culprit pin in DIMM1 is not making electrical contact will alert the Power On Self
Test (POST) LED is a troubleshooting tool used during the boot up to diagnose problems. The POST show C1 to C3 no matter if the 3
DIMM's are good or bad but it positively tells us to check Memory modules must be inserted properly or it is not making good
electrical contact with the system. The word 'Contact' is the key. I've to make sure all DIMM socket connectors are clean, good, and
no missing.

How I found it? I noticed all connector pair pins or fins pair along the DIMM socket are shinny and bright metal easily distinguish
against the black color DIMM sockets and except the culprit No. 3 pins of DIMM1 which is black and empty. The DIMM socket are also
black color. I used magnifying glass to inspect more closer to confirm my finding. It is missing or moved inside the channel.

If this is the case. It answered why I keep rotating my 3 good RAM modules in DIMM1 and still not booting properly even with only
one module in DIMM1 socket - it is BECAUSE of poor or no electrical contact to the system. There are a total of 184-pins in each
DIMM socket and only one important pin contact causing all the problem.

It also answered or rule out the possibility of damaging the board and modules by static electricity. Therefore; the real caused
falls mainly on normal factory defect, component factory defect or poor workmanship or all of it. It could not cause by normal usage
because I never insert anything except my RAM modules and those modules connector pins are very smooth and fit well in the socket
hallow space area ONLY and by the DIMM socket designed it cannot possible damage the tiny pins contact which are hidden and well
protected by the socket wall and except some tiny pins contacts are off standard or slightly damage or has tiny cracks line or other
similar findings.

I finally 'hit the nail in the head'

Give me 5!
<<Rino>>

R

Richard Urban

Nothing a new M/B won't fix! (-:

Glad you found it.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

G

Hi Richard, et al,
Thanks for everything! Yes, a new MoBo definitely save my day _BUT IT WILL NOT_
serve my purpose of troubleshooting. Any upgrade to MoBo needs a new Memory modules
and that's costly proposition.

I've reduced to 85 Characters on Wrap Text Sending settings hope this post will give
a nicer and compact text message. For easy on reading - you can increase text size by
pressing Ctrl key and roll your Mouse Scrolling Wheel toward you.

I've to send my MoBo to Epox.com to fix the problem. I complaint and they immediately
willing to give only one time service for out of warrantee product. MoBo is 2-yrs
warrantee counting from the date of manufactured while vendor Fry's Electronics
counts from the date of purchased. Both warrantee almost expired at the same time. If
I buy a new MoBo again I'll not get vendor warrantee because all MoBo are already
covered by manufacturers warrantees. Even those Memory modules are _lifetime
warrantees_ - but make sure you Register your Products and keep everything; the box
or plastic wrapping, invoices, and warrantee sheet. Most important: Do Not touch
their Serial Nos., original UPC Code in carton - you can now FAX (it's FREE) and
acceptabled a copy of UPC for Rebate purposes. Yes, all Rebates companies now
accepted, agreed and knew this facts: It is not possible to send a FAX without a hard
copy of your Rebate form and genuine purchase Invoice. You affixed a scanned copy of
UPC in the Rebate form. Every valid customers will protect all the above things until
final resolution and they can easily detect for double or repeated claim even not
done by you. They installed factory to vendors links - all your purchases are known
to the manufacturers which are similar to banking system.

I know you can negotiate with any vendors if you already knew that all MoBo are
factory warranted for 'X' No. of years. We all want longer warrantee - maybe all
vendors should change their policy by stating that they'll _continues the number of
years_ you want it be protected AFTER THE EXPIRATION OF FACTORY WARRANTEES PERIOD.

With my posts I hope others will study it and give it a try for your own benefits.

Regards,
==Rino

Nothing a new M/B won't fix! (-:

Glad you found it.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

Ask a Question