Pc cam and freeserve broaband

Joy

Reaction score
I have not used a forum before so I hope i am doing this right.
Since having freeserve broadband my pc camera will not work.
When i load the cam i am no longer able to surf the web i keep getting a dns error. After several contacts with freeserve they blame everything but their modem.
I have done everything they tell me to great expence ie. the 50p a min help line!
I have even bought a powered usb hub!
I have tried 3 cams now ( bless argos and the returns policy)

I am now considering changing to another broaband company. All suggestions welcome from other web cam uses who use broadband.
Hope someone can help
thanks
Joy

Reaction score
Hi Joy,

What software are you using? eg MSN Messenger.

Where and when do you get the error message?

What exactly does the error message say?

You provide the when's and the where's and i'll provide the why's!

Hopefully

Regards

James

Joy

Reaction score
Hi James

Thanks for your reply.

I am using XP prossional and do used chats things like messenger and yahoo etc.

The error message i get when i launch the browser is a DNS error unable to connect.
This only happens when the PC camera is installed.
I am able to ping the server and thats all at a low level.

Even if i unplug the camera it still doenst work so i have to do a restore to an earlier time. ( a simple uninstall doesnt work )
Then the browser will work again.
The broadband modem is an alcatel a small green one that looks like it comes from the movie " Battries not included) this was from freeserve.
The camera does work on my sisters NTL line.

As mentioned in my first message Freeserve are no help they just send me off to do silly things that I know will not resolve this.
Thanks again for your intesest in helping me. I am praying i just have to tick a box somwhere to make this work.
Best wishes
Joy

Joy

Reaction score
Hi

No just unplugging the camera still doenst make the internet browser work.

Its the internet browers both explorer and netscape that dont work not just chat things. Well i cant conncet to anything.
Thanks
Joy

Reaction score
to be honest joy, i can't really see how the camera can be causing the problem, it's possible some software that you've installed with the camera, if your convinced that it is the camera then updating the camera drivers.

James

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Alcatel don't make very good modems ... fact: Alcatel modems did not work with XP, maybe the new ones do, and I don't trust them.

USB modems cause more problems than do NIC (network interface card) connected modems. Get a NIC & a real modem.

What camera are you using? ... Drivers play an essential part in XPs operation ... if when plugging in the camera, things go wrong, look for new updated drivers or change the brand of camera.

Freeserve have a cheek charging for support ... NTL cable give you an 0845 number. ;)

Joy

Reaction score
A big thank you to all who have helped me with this.
I think I am going to change from Freeserve to Ntl now as soon as my contract is up with them.
Thanks again
Joy x

Ask a Question