PC Build

Reaction score
I have decided to try and build my own PC since the last "package" I bought from TIME turned out to contain obsolete parts, so when my chip went bust, nothing would fit my Soket 1 M/bd!!!
I don't know much beyond the basics, but I can wield a screwdriver and read a manual.
However I am bewildered by all the variants of the components that are for sale and thought the 'net and a couple of forums would sort me out. I am a little disappointed with PC Review because it's reviews that would influence me more than the adverts on makers sites and there doesn't seem to be many reviews on this site.
Can anyone help point me in the right direction, either with suggestions on components or sites that contain reviews.
If some one can help, I'll send my ideal spec for comments, but I would need help specifying p/s, No. of fans, m/bd etc.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello deemac and welcome to PCR

We are sorry for the lack of reviews but it was not our fault that our last host lost our complete system. We have had to start from scratch. :(

However, we can certainly advise and or point you in the right direction for your "first build" do you have a budget in mind?

I would strongly suggest you get a good "foundation" in what motherboard you need & then pick the appropriate bit-n-bobs to go with it. ;)

Then you need to look at either AMD or Intel platform, both have there advantages & disadvantages. In favour of AMD is the all-round price of the CPU and other component association, did I mention price. However, the Intel P4 has it own merits.

With AMD in mind, my favourite is the MSI board, very reliable, no real problems and with a bit of overclockability built in. I have built a few systems based on the KT3 Ultra and can assure you will enjoy this board.

The next contender for your system would be a Case that can house all your needs with comfort and room to spare for the inevitable expansion. There are, with out doubt, a considerable amount of "cheap" cases on the market. To me there is only one or two that fit my "needs" and none of those come with a PSU.

That brings us to "Watts" the best buy for your power needs leaving good room for other "add-ons", again its worth spending a "few bob" extra on this all important item.

Then there is the Video card, modem, Hard Drive, CDRom/Burner these item for me are secondary. Why? 'cos there are some dam good "run of the mill" components that just do the job they need to do.

Once again apologies for the lack of reviews but please feel free to ask any questions, I’ll try and point you in the right direction.

Mucks.

Reaction score
For a beginner, I'd suggest getting the Asus A7V333, since you can't fry your processor. Even if you don't install your heatsink properly (which is quite possible for a newbie), C.O.P. will automatically shut down your PC and your chip will be safe. Most motherboards today will let the chip fry to its death.

As far as lack of reviews go, we're working on it. I wrote a software review on Wednesday, and it should be up today or tomorrow, also, I'm getting sever hardware products next week to review, so look out for these. I know Ian is also working on a few reviews of his own. All in all, I think we should have several reviews up each week, which is a good thing. Just keep coming back for more content (and tell your friends!). :D

Ask a Question