Overclockers UK - Nightmare or not?

Reaction score
Hi
I've just had a pre-built PC delivered from Overclockers UK and I'm a bit upset with their service so I've asked them to put it right.

If this doesn't work I'll ask for a full refund.

I'll not mention the ins and outs until they've had a chance to respond to my issues - fair is fair.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

This will help me decide whether to inform the credit card co, SC court & trading STD's or to at least try to go through this "RMA process" they insist on, which doesn't actually affect my statutory rights anyway.

Nostromo

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
What wernt you happy about?

The quality of the product? Customer Services? Is it faulty? Was the Delivery Dodgey?

You gotta be more specific.

Reaction score
must admit

ive used overclockers for a long time
their delivery is good

but the only place where they get to me is RETURNS and customer service when u ring them thats poor!

Reaction score
Well they delivered the
- wrong GFX card
- the build had HD floating in the case unmounted
- DVD unconnected
- MB extra power supply floating in the case
Several other connections loose.
Loose binders floating about
paid £45 for the build.

The problem is the larger GFX card won't allow SLI, cos it's too thick so that was the whole point of getting an SLI MB.

OK so there was some confusion etc. and perhaps the build got knocked to hell by Amtrak.

What worries me is that I can't get hold of their technical support dept. and their sales guy said this is the only way to get a refund via an RMA No. He couldn't give this to me and said he couldn't get hold of tech (but the other day he spoke to the guys building the PC over his shoulder).

If it was a mistake and the MB got damaged during shipping that's OK they must just take it back and fix it up again at THEIR expense according to the Sale of Goods Act.

But I can't get hold of them at all, which has set alarm bells ringing, especially after seeing all the negative posts on this forum!

I'm sitting with a PC which doesn't work - HD undetected.

Nostromo

Reaction score
nostromo said:
What worries me is that I can't get hold of their technical support dept. and their sales guy said this is the only way to get a refund via an RMA No. He couldn't give this to me and said he couldn't get hold of tech (but the other day he spoke to the guys building the PC over his shoulder).

I'm sitting with a PC which doesn't work - HD undetected.

Nostromo

keep ringing them up
i remember i had to wait 2 weeks and everytime they were like ' email us'

so i had to have a little go at them over the phone
poor sod saw the agressive side of me = refund STRIAGHTaway

i did notice this with ocuk
the ppl working on the phones are so lazy

Reaction score
psd99 said:
keep ringing them up
i remember i had to wait 2 weeks and everytime they were like ' email us'

so i had to have a little go at them over the phone
poor sod saw the agressive side of me = refund STRIAGHTaway

i did notice this with ocuk
the ppl working on the phones are so lazy

More disillusioned and fed up than lazy.

Reaction score
nostromo said:
Hi
I've just had a pre-built PC delivered from Overclockers UK and I'm a bit upset with their service so I've asked them to put it right.

If this doesn't work I'll ask for a full refund.

I'll not mention the ins and outs until they've had a chance to respond to my issues - fair is fair.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

This will help me decide whether to inform the credit card co, SC court & trading STD's or to at least try to go through this "RMA process" they insist on, which doesn't actually affect my statutory rights anyway.

Nostromo
I boughta a xfx6600gt graphics card off (overclockers )and guess what its useless i have been ringing them for two weeks!! either engaged or they just dont answer? I live quite a long way bout 4hrs drive but i'm thinking of paying them a little visit. Buy loads of stuff on line no prob but this lot are a un-funny joke!

Reaction score
I bought a GeForce 6600GT as well.

I got an RMA, sent it back within 7 days for a refund, then got it bounced back with an additional fee.

The card/box/wrapping were all intact.

They hide behind the Distance Selling Regulations to keep the money.

I had a look at them at these, and found no evidence they couldn't refund. I emailed them, and I am still waiting for an answer. As someone told earlier, they simply don't answer the phone.

I just posted a review on reviewcentre.com

I have quite a few friends who were ripped off by them in the past in a similar way, so I invite you to post more reviews to witness it, as they don't seem to give a flying s**t about us. Hopefully, more buyers will be aware of the situation.

I'm looking at legal actions in parallel to enforce my customer rights and will keep you updated if you're interested.

Reaction score
I have ordered MANY stuff from them ... and so far so good ... no problems lol

I did have one ... but i spose that was my own fault ... called them many times .... EVENTUALLY picked up though lol

I still like em ! :p

Reaction score
overclockers

Well i sent the card back and now( all is silent ) surprise surprise !
If i hear nothing within a week i will contact trading standards i have already been in touch
with them and they do know of overclockers (which sounds bad) i live in hope !!!

Reaction score
WOW this is a surprise and news to me. Never have I heard such negative feedback for Overclockers. Everyone I knw of that have dealt with them ahve praised them, including myself. Write a letter, recorded delivery. They have to sign it, that is your proof that they have recieved it.

I wish you all luck.

Reaction score
I have ordered MANY stuff from them ... and so far so good ... no problems lol

That's the thing, if the hardware you ordered didn't have any problem, then of course you wouldn't have had any problem ;)

I have ordered a few things in the past as well, and since the hardware wasn't incompatible/deficient it assuredly went well...

If i hear nothing within a week i will contact trading standards

I personally contacted my credit card provider (as I had paid by credit card). If overclockers don't refund within 30 days, they'll start up an investigation (and do whatever is necessary, including forcing refund)
A file needs to be constituted, so keep around any message you've sent (including emails, which constitute legal evidence as well in the case of Distance selling regulations)

Reaction score
Well folks as promised here's the outcome after all this time...

I tried to contact them and finally got through, they promised to fix everything, took back the items and I haven't heard from them since (5 weeks). I finally got through again and they put me on hold to check it out then put the phone down on me... Tried again but couldn't get through, always an engaged tone. I asked for a refund via the webnote systems (they wouldn't reply) so I recorded all my correspondence and sent this to the bank who say they will refund me as I paid by credit card.

All I can say is - avoid Overclockers at all costs!

They'll hang onto your money for as long as possible too so be careful, order from a big retailer like Dell as at least you get the support and pay a bit more.

Thank God I used a credit card and not a debit card,
nostromo

Reaction score
Overclockers are a NIGHTMARE!

I have been a regular customer of OcUK for the last couple of years and when buying the goods they seem to deliver on a very good timescale. The orders also were complete and had very few problems.

UNTIL!

Returning an Item!

I purchased a GeForce 6800GT card from their company which developed a fault after 4 months. I sent the card back which took 10 days to resolve. I requested a new replacement and in fact they sent a B Grade one. On opening the packaging the Graphics Card plate was bent and damaged. I removed this and fixed it and tried the graphics card. The replacement B Grade card was faulty!. Sent this card back and I am still waiting for a third replacement. I was promised a speedy replacement and altogether its currently taking nearly 4 weeks to resolve this matter. I then phoned them and was promised a replacement similar graphics card would be shipped on the day. 2 days later no graphics card in the post. I eventually managed to get some feedback from their company and was told that the graphics card hadn;t yet been dispatched from their warehouse and was told to expect it within a further 3-4 days!

Being in a computing profession I understand and appreciate electrical items are likely to develop a fault and will need returning. What I dont appreciate is a company who have a very relaxed and cant be bothered attitude towards customer returns.

Definetely the last time I will be ordering from this company.

A very annoyed and ****** off customer.

Personally I would stick to other companies such as Simply or Dabs Its just not worth the hassle.

Reaction score
Why did u pay for it pre-built? just out of interest because most people enjoy the satisfaction of building their own?

Reaction score
Hmmmm, I wonder if that would happen here in states. I would notify the "Better Business Bureu" , they LOVE hangging those companies out to dry. I wonder if that company would survive an audit?????

Reaction score
My experience with OCUK?

Here's a copy of the review I placed here, along with all the other nightmare reviews of OCUK (those that had to return something anyway). http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/overclockers_co_uk__5097152/SortOrder/2

Well, I have now had it with this "company". http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

Their customer support is among the worst I have ever encountered besides Ebay. When you call them the lines are always engaged or they don't pick up... they don't even have a bloody answering machine to leave a message on.

Just send them an email right? Every online store has email communications? Well... the only way of communicating via the internet is via e-notes, and they seem to check them about once a week. is it TOO MUCH to ask for a simple email address that is answered quickly?

My first problem was around 18 months ago when they sent me the wrong RAM. They claimed it was BH-5 when it was in fact... CH-5. I emailed them to politely point out the problem and they sent me back a one-liner that the RAM was as advertised. Eh? What then followed was a complete farce... the tech sent me back a short one-sentence answer to all of my emails, forcing me to keep sending emails in order get my questions answered. EVENTUALLY I grudgingly got a refund... it took around a week and a half of solid emailing.

Now I have a hard-drive in RMA atm from 2 weeks ago (already been tested faulty by them) that is URGENT for a friends computer... and I can't fricken get hold of them to ask where it is.

I FINALLY got a reply to a web-note today and simply got the response:

"Dear MR RICHARD **********,

I do apologise for the delay I will ensure that your RMA is despatched
today.

Regards,

Phil Meredith"

So in other words... they COMPLETELY FORGOT about my RMA. Frustration is not the word... for such a "big" online store their after-sales support is urine-poor! Pray you never have to return anything!

This site has also appeared in PCZONE magazine several times with readers writing in with numerous gripes... never will I buy another product from them, they are rogue traders.

Note that all the good reviews on this site are from people who haven't had to return anything...

The lowdown?

*TERRIBLE customer support. How they get away with it I will never know... who moderates and governs these people?

*AWFUL communication - phones ring and ring or are engaged (they must leave them off the hook to avoid endless ringing).

*Responses to email insufficient.

*They treat warranty like a joke, COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL.

Postage is relatively fast and prices can be decent but does this make up for almost criminal and negligent after-sales and warranty security? NO!

They simply a bad company, and deserve to be officially investigated for their appalling after-sales service.

Read this too! http://www.livejournal.com/users/dwinsper/225158.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Huh.

Ive returned stuff to them, didnt take more than a few days, and their phone service was ever so polite and helpful also. As well as the email correspondance.

Ordered £1000 of components this morning from them for two computers for a customer. No probs so far - and i use them loads.

Ask a Question