Outlook Outlook Express 100% CPU

Reaction score
From time to time the CPU usage shows nearly 100%. Closing Outlook Express makes no difference, but closing MSIMN with Task Manager clears problem immediately. Recently noticed that from the front page of O/E if I select Tools, Options, Signatures the panel freezes and the CPU usage goes to 100%. I am unable to unfreeze this by any means apart from closing MSIMN from Task Manager. I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed. There are absolutely no viruses, spyware, adware, malware, worms or trojans on my machine.
Can anybody help? I have been told that it is a known problem and Microsoft are investigating but I have not seen any other reports of this fault and would have expected to if it a known problem.
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Thanks for trying. I don't get either invalid page faults or any other error message, just the machine seems to slow and when I check, I find 100% CPU usage. Something is just very busy and looping for some reason as leaving it for a long time doesn't improve matters.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It sounds as if your Inbox.DBX file is corrupted.

There is a free utility you can download called DBXTRACT. You can find a copy and instructions for it at www.updatexp.com/tip23.html You'll need to first locate your corrupt Inbox.DBX file the location can be found from within Outlook Express, Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder.

Follow the directions of the Web site, but this is how it works:
The DBXTRACT tool will extract the individual messages from the corrupted file and place them in a separate directory. Rename the corrupted Inbox.DBX to Inbox.BAD and then restart Outlook Express. This will create a new empty Inbox.DBX. Just drag and drop the extracted individual e-mails extracted by DBXTRACT into the Inbox within Outlook Express.
:)

Reaction score
No Sorry, not that either.

As I said earlier one MSVP did say that it was a problem under investigation by Microsoft but as you know some MSVPs are brilliant and worth their weight in gold and some are a just a pain in the posterior, so I don't put too much faith in his comment.

Ask a Question