Outlook Outlook ‘Enter Network Password’ popping up

Reaction score
I am on Windows XP and for the past week I have been getting ‘Enter Network Password’ box constantly popping up in my Outlook.

I have several email accounts and the details that show in the box vary from one email account to another (showing user-name and hidden password). Since the details are already in the box there is nothing I can do other than quit or Ok it but it just keeps popping back up again.

I’ve had this problem many times in the past and it always stopped eventually of its own accord but seems to be hanging on this time and doing it constantly.

Help appreciated!

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, TD.

No, my machine isn’t shared.

I have recently added 2 more accounts but the problem started last week when there was only one account.

Reaction score
Had this problem myself, using mail forwarded (from accounts hosted by 123-reg) to my main BT broadband account. Threads elsewhere suggested various radical options, but the easier ones to check and remedy are that the Outgoing Server tab needs to have My outgoing Server (SMTP) requires authentication ticked to yes (from Outlook Inbox select Tools menu, Account Settings..., highlight the account you're forwarding from, 'Change...', 'More Settings', Outgoing Server tab). That solved it for other people, but the one I think got me sorted was to delete all mail in the webmail account that goes with the main POP3/SMTP account I use with Outlook. I have no idea why that should affect anything, but I'm fine today having cleared it yesterday evening. BT occasionally send mails to the webmail account (which I don't otherwise use), so it's one to keep an eye on if problem recurrs. Hope this helps!

Ask a Question