Windows XP Operating Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What do you use on your PC/PC's? I'm a Windows XP person myself :)

I have it running on 2 PC's, with Linux running on another machine that I use for development :) I like the idea of open source, and I like Linux, but compatibility and ease of use is everything nowadays for home computers.

Lindows looks interesting though, although it doesnt appear too different to Mandrake with one of the various Windows layers :confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
XP pro here, best thing for the average/home user since sliced bread.

I am "re-evaluating" :roll: Linux, since I was given a full retail box of SuSE 7.3 pro ... I must say it is a lot easier than Mandrake. However, I'm still stuck! As a real "newbie" I'm getting very frustrated with it, the dam thing even froze when trying to install StarOffice ... I'll give SO a miss and try that new one out.

Mucks. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Linux can only get easier now, and most of the new packages are comming with easy to install apps :D

Corel brought out a really easy to handle version apparently, but it didnt go down to well :(

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
I'm a Win2000 pro person myself :)

It's stable, runs everything I need.... what more could I ask for? Also got it on the Student liscense - Very cheap indeed.

XP looks and feels too "cute" for my liking. I know it has a classic mode, but to be honest I see no point in upgrading at the moment.

I'll get the next version probably.... or I have to say that Linux is looking more inviting as the days go by ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
XP Pro myself, and apart from my initial cynicism and doubts, I think it performs really well. None of that fresh install palaver every coupla months like with WIN 98.

I note a lot of skepticism amongst WIN 2K users about WIN XP, mostly cos of the way it looks.

Thing is, most WIN 2K diehards don't realise XP is more or less the same OS but more stable, more capable of running old games and also capable of being displayed any which way you want, including a WIN 2K clone set up.

Bah! Luddites! :D

Linux? I'm playing with Mandrake 8.2 and am gradually realising that to understand this thing, you have to completely forget about Microsoft ways of operating. As good as Linux is, and all the enhanced GUI distros available, it's actually making me realise how user friendly Bill Gates' OS is. Oops, best duck.... :D

Linux = steep learning curve.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No need to duck Flopps, you hit the nail right on the head. As you rightly said, XP is just NT5 with bells on. Anybody that is using Win2000 have no real need to change, unless they would like a little more stability and to play all the latest games. :brow:

I have use some OS's other than Windows, but Linux takes the biscuit for frustration. I keep going back to it though. :D

Reaction score
I upgraded to XP Pro about a week ago and love it. No issues so far. Definetly a keeper. I also dual-boot this machine with Mandrake 8.2 (custom compiled kernel, micro install). On my other machine I use Debian, and have tried other distros such as Gentoo (not for those with heart conditions).

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
Latest games all run fine on Win2K (it does have up to date directX). And I haven't met the game I haven't been able to trick into working yet :)

You are all correct saying WinXP is just NT5+Bells, and some very nice bells too. However, the expense isn't worth it - extra stability is only needed if your system crashes ;) and thankfully, I've not had a problem yet! No reinstalls and it's over a year after initial install.

Actually, my only problem with 98 (apart from reinstall to remove clutter) was a faulty memory module that kept giving me a blue screen! I only realised what it was while upgrading to 2k. God damn I should have noticed that one sooner! :spin:

WinXP is good, but I'll wait for the next version.... hopefully it will be a significant enough jump then.

Reaction score
I tried Linux on an extra partition about a year back, but realise i really can't be bothered with change...learning how to use the thing. Same thing when i installed XP, set it straight back to looking exactly like 98. All that blue task bar rubbish does not have a happy familiar feel to it ...

Reaction score
I've got XP Home running right now and couldn't be happier with it (after I got the Radeon drivers installed - ugh).

Reaction score
Windows Xp professional is the BEST ... eventhough there is Windows 7 started to reach every corner of world, it doesnt give the "easy navigation" like xp .:) loves xp service pack 3

Reaction score
:user:I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit wouldn't want to go back to XP it seems so dated now. I feel comfortable with 7 now. Have had Linux but had trouble with compatibly with drivers and just a little thing the names of their software, naah I will stay with Microsoft I am used to that.;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Old thread is old. I'm sure we've had a newer one since 2002.... ;)

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question