Bargain Oculus Rift reduced to $399/£399

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Quite possibly - they've already demonstrated wireless plugins and some new hardware concepts, so may be shifting old stock. It still seems fairly early to launch a new VR headset though, so perhaps they're trying to compete with PSVR and build a base for future game sales.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I missed this post first time around and saw Amazon advertising this recently. It's still the same price with a couple of handsets and still, AFAIK, there is nothing much better on the market.

Interestingly, reading all the specs for one of these gizmos, my main machine meets all specs apart from not enough (free) USB 3 and USB 2 ports. Still, for around £26 a 5 port USB 3 port can be had USB 3 link

Tempted, must admit, but seeing as how my current financial state could best be described as impecunious unlikely to happen.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you got a shop with a demo unit near you? It may be worth giving one a go so that you can see how you get on with it, that way if the price drops you'll know if it's worth going for :D. Some people really don't get along with VR headsets, as it makes them feel sick - but most people should be OK with it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think I should be ok, I'm a big fan of theme park rides, not sure if that would help ;)

Mind you, I'm a bit rubbish at surfing and surf boarding plus have never been any good at Flight Sims, both real and arcade types.

I'll check out any traders giving demos, might be one up the West End I suppose.

Reactions: Ian

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
floppy, don't forget to set the video camera up so we can tell you what you look like playing. :)

:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
floppy, don't forget to set the video camera up so we can tell you what you look like playing. :)

:lol:

No fear :D That would be akin to people singing wearing headphones.

Anyhoos, I'm skint for the time being. My setup is such that I can get by - just - and any work brings me toys.

But work, over the years, has become less and less, for a number of reasons such as personal contacts retiring or dying or moving on; Academyisation; Large building firms snapping up educational establishments' maintenance contracts and last but not least - the cutting of state schools budgets.

Oh well, it was a good run.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I should be ok, I'm a big fan of theme park rides, not sure if that would help ;)

Mind you, I'm a bit rubbish at surfing and surf boarding plus have never been any good at Flight Sims, both real and arcade types.

I'll check out any traders giving demos, might be one up the West End I suppose.

Here's a list of locations near you with a demo: https://live.oculusvr.com/search/greenwich

I'm sure you'll enjoy it TBH, but it's worth trying just to get a feel for it - I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed VR!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well thank you Ian. Harrods? I don't think I'd get past the doorman at Harrods :lol: And John Lewis at Sloane Square? That's a bit posh innit. Mind you, one of my few remaining customers is at Sloane Square...

John Lewis at Stratford, I could get there on the DLR, change at Canary Wharf.

Hmm.

Reactions: Ian

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Meeself while finding the concept great will not be buying either the Rift or the Vive. I am waiting for more games and for a system that does not need wires tethered to a pc.
Also this snippet of news is keeping my hands in my pockets at the moment.

http://www.techradar.com/news/palme...xciting-things-for-new-post-oculus-vr-product

He may have left Oculus behind, but the VR headset's creator hasn't left the virtual reality space altogether. Speaker onstage at the Tokyo Game Show, Palmer Luckey has confirmed he's working on all-new VR projects.

“I have a new company, I can’t talk about my projects too much yet, but I’m still working in the virtual reality industry on some very exciting things,” said Luckey during a talk held by former rival HTC Vive.

He's previously discussed how much he enjoys the anime Sword Art Online – a show where the character's actions in VR have real-world consequences.

“This concept of [consequences] is part of one of the projects I am working on," he said back in June.

SAO is one super anime series by the way.

:cool:

Oh an there ain't a single demo venue in the whole of Wales :rolleyes:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, a tether free system would be a big deal - I imagine it can't be too long before that becomes the norm for VR headsets... I'd imagine it will be the first thing they want to improve. I know that there are the standalone wireless headsets coming out, but I'd still like to see ones that work with a PC/Console :).

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
TPCAST HTC VIVE Wireless VR Adapter

HTC announces Vive adapter for wireless VR

The wireless adapter will mean you won’t have to connect up cables directly to your PC, but it will obviously introduce a battery that will need to be charged. HTC isn’t providing battery life estimates yet, but the TPCast typically lasts around 2 hours so it’s reasonable to assume HTC’s own version will last around the same amount of time.

Not sure what you mean by "work with pc/console". There are already wifi sets you can use with the makers headsets and HTC are making their own offering. All of them work with an adapter plugged into a pc.

I'm saving up for when they have refined the set ups and there are some super games released for them. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hurrah! I wonder how they'll price it :confused:. Hopefully cheaper than the $299 alternative.

Ask a Question