No power from Power Supply

Reaction score
Hi.

I've bought two new quiet power supplies for my pc, but when i plug them in I get no response from either at all. Not even a light on the motherboard to say there is power. I have an old noisy psu that works with my pc, so all of the other components must be ok.

The power supply units are a FSP Active PFC ATX 12V 350watts and Thermaltake Purepower Active PFC ATX 12V 350watts.

Both recommend that you make sure that the "Voltage Power Switch" is set to 230V for UK. But neither units have a visible switch.

Is it possible to have got 2 dud power supply units?

Any help would be soooooooo appreciated before I throw them through the window.

steve

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It is possible that they are both faulty... but very unlikey!

Try looking in the manual for the location of the voltage switch, although I'd assume it would probably be set on 230V anyway as we are in the UK. Do the fans on the power supply actually start up?

Reaction score
The manuals are really not useful at all and give no information of any use.
I don't even get the fans working or any sign of life.

Reaction score
I don't want to sound condescending or anything, but did you ensure that the power supply was inserted correctly?
i.e. flip the header and see if it starts up.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... But neither units have a visible switch
On a modern PSU there should be no 'voltage switch' ... all modern PSU's will range from 110 to 240

There is a 'rocker' on/off switch on the PSU, you did turn it on?

When you say "... I plugged them in" did you actually install them into a computer ... 'cos you aint gonna get nothing by just plugging into a power socket with nothing attached. Unless you wire the green and any black together (oh, if you don't know what I'm on about, don't try it). :spin:

A modern PSU need to be 'fitted' in the PC to actually get it to 'work'. ;)

Then, of coarse you could have two faulty PSU units, hope not. :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yep, what Mucks said. A PSU has to be plugged into a motherboard to function. When it's plugged into motherboard socket, two wires are bridged, completing a circuit to enable the PSU to run.

Also, the manual you have is probably old, probably written in Taiwan or China, and has old text, for when they was a voltage selector for 110V or 230Vac at the back. So just ignore that.

If by chance you do have two faulty PSU's, you should be up for a mention in the Guinness Book of Records ;)

Ask a Question