Nintendo DS out today

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
the title says it all, im thinking about getting one. what are yalls opinion on the DS and the PSP?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I recon the PSP will kill off the DS without breaking a sweat. It has the backing of virtually every game maker out there and looks a hell of alot better. The graphics are also twice as better too ;). There will also be film media available for it too, but i am abit uncertaon on how well that will do.

I say hold out for the PSP :).

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Well i got one, and its pretty cool. if there is anyone around you that has one then you can chat with them or play games, theres even a mic to talk to them! now all i have to do is what for some one else to get one thats around me....

Reaction score
Right well if ur looking at specs of the two consoles, psp wins hands down
its a much faster console, has more memory and better graphics output.
But the nintendo DS while slower, has duel screen, 16 man wireless lan at 10mbps and touchscreen functions. Yeah ok so still looking at the two you would prefer the psp, i know i would if i had been given that information alone.
Now then, when you take a portable console out, your going to want to be able to play it ofcourse!
DS gives 6-10 hour playtime on a 4 hour charge (dependant on what game is being played)
PSP gives a kickass ............ 2.5 hours, which of these are really portable now? being required to change batterys that often is what first turned me away from the PSP, and into the light ... the Nintendo DS
smile.gif

ok so what you say, its the games that make a console what it is?
yes completely right
nintendo have stated it is possible to port any PSP game to the nintendo DS
While PSP could NEVER port ds games to them, the technology would have to be modifed too much to work.
DS already has one of the worlds leading game developers working on games for there console (Square-Enix) Creators of the Final Fantasy Series, which also by the way is being ported to DS.
Need for speed underground 2 and tony hawks underground 2 are availible on both consoles.
But these are the games im interested in at the moment, judge for your self which console brings more playability from.
im going to play it safe with the DS

Edit: A note on the media side for PSP
while it is true you can play mp3s and DVD's on it, you also need to buy the special format disks, retail around £30 each to play them. so basicly say you have ummmmm Blade 2 (on tv now :)) on DVD and you would like to play it on your PSP, you would need to go buy Blade 2 psp version in the shops. That amount of money to play something on a 4 inch screen.
Another ploy by sony to get more money, remember the ps2? to get a fully working net enabled / hard-drive installed console was around $400 instead of the $200 the base iteself was sold for
go go sony, suck the money dry

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Nice Info! I do agree that the PSP is technologically more advanced than the DS, although the Battery life of the PSP really kills it. although i wish the DS had a built in Planner to make extra use of its touch screen and help me in daily life.

Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
I recon the PSP will kill off the DS without breaking a sweat. It has the backing of virtually every game maker out there and looks a hell of alot better. The graphics are also twice as better too ;). There will also be film media available for it too, but i am abit uncertaon on how well that will do.

I say hold out for the PSP :).
The problem with the PSP is that all the "AAA" games we have been promised are coming many months after launch, The DS is selling under an old formula that works - its selling reamkes/rehashes/updates od classic games whilst throwing us the odd highley original title, like they have done with all recent ninendo consoles.

whereas the PSP isnt looking promising from day one, there will be around 12 launch titles 4 of which are mahjong games :( it isnt until summer next year until we see great games such as GT4 :D

I big mistake by Sony imo.

BTW there's a bloke on my forum based in the US selling DS's for £135 without customs if anyone wants one.

Leo

Reaction score
I got one the day it came out I like it.. I was thinking of getting PSP but its just to much for me and the games are too much too.. So I got the DS besides DS came out before PSP did. I only have one game for it and the demo it comes with so I don't play it that much lol..

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I heard that the DS will be able to go online for online game play! but that is i the far future i think.

Ask a Question