New Raspberry Pi out today for just £23

News New Raspberry Pi out today for just £23

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Becky submitted a new article:

New Raspberry Pi out today for just £23 - The third generation single-board computer is now available in the A+ format

There's a new Raspberry Pi out today; The Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+, and you can buy it for just £23 ($25). The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ came out in March 2018 and currently retails for £32 ($35). In comparison, the Model A+ is a cheaper, smaller, lower-powered version of the third-generation single-board computer.

Compared with the Model B+, the Model A+ shares the same CPU and GPU, but has a smaller memory (512MB vs 1GB), fewer ports, and does not feature wired Ethernet connectivity. In...

Read more about this article...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's interesting that they've changed the form factor. I wonder if this is going to be the case for all of their future models, as it's a big change if so.

I'm all for it tbh, as long as they stick with the new size for a few years at least.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Has anybody here ever set up an old console games emulator on a Pi? I ask this as I see a fair few 'retro' consoles on sale now including a Sega Megadrive clone with lots of old Sega games installed.

But then I read that there's a Pi App named RetroPie or similar and it would probably be cheaper and more fun to make a Pi Machine with an emulator and some ROMs.

So, anybody ever tried this?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anybody here ever set up an old console games emulator on a Pi? I ask this as I see a fair few 'retro' consoles on sale now including a Sega Megadrive clone with lots of old Sega games installed.

But then I read that there's a Pi App named RetroPie or similar and it would probably be cheaper and more fun to make a Pi Machine with an emulator and some ROMs.

So, anybody ever tried this?

I think I did this when the very first RPi came out, but more as a novelty. The newer versions of the RPi will have a ton of power for emulation and would work really well. For ~£30 you should be up and running with something that will emulate a ton of consoles :). I think you can even get USB controllers that look just like the NES/Sega ones if you like.

Are you thinking of using one and plugging it in to your TV via HDMI, or making one with a built-in screen and use it for handheld games?

I really like RPi's - I've got quite a few running now :D.

Ask a Question