New PC for under £150?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As a little experiment for an article I'm thinking about writing, I tried to price the cheapest computer possible using easily available components (not B grades, used or last-gen).

For under £150 inc P&P I managed to spec up a 2400 Sempron, 256MB Ram, CDRW, 80GB Drive, Mobo (onboard sound+video), keyboard, speakers, mouse.

Thats a full working PC :eek: I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole though, as the Case/Keyboard/Mouse/PSU cost just over a tenner all in - but the motherboard/cpu/ram/HDD were all pretty good.

Amazing isn't it!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole either, lol, but yes, it is quite amazing.

If that's the pricing available to the public, consider what some sellers of ready built towers pay for parts.

And then they're sold to a sometimes gullible public as being top of the range. Hmm.

And wot about the monitor? ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, all public pricing :) If I was to skimp on parts i.e a 40GB drive, worse motherboard and only a 2200+ it would be only just over £100.

No monitor though ;) A 19" good CRT is less than £100, as is a 15" TFT... amazing.

Reaction score
i can get a 17inch TFT for 75 pound lol Nice way to make money If ur willing to mug someone off

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'll take one ... make a fantastic test machine, especially if it has an AGP slot.

You would die of shock if you knew how much the real cost was ... £1.50 for optical keyboard & mouse, including batteries (Trust) £3.50 for a 'multimedia' set (Genius) and £5 for a Logitech two tone blue set, again all wireless & optical mice. :eek:

And that was last year ... I no longer trade, but I keep my hand in. ;)

I have built systems to that sort of spec', but only for "office" work ... I made sure my "home user" systems were capable of playing 90% of the games out there, and I got good money. :p

Reaction score
a Private dealership in Shoeburyness near southend dunnno how many they have left now they also had a 21 inch CfT for about 60 pound i think lol

Ask a Question