New Laptop needed budget £500

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am looking for a laptop for my sister.

She wants something that is quick has a decent screen.
It will mainly be used for surfing the internet and not take up a lot of memory power. She is not a gamer but stresses she wants something with good storage.

Also another point worth noting is that size is not that much of an issue nor is weight.
The budget this time is £500.

I had a look on Dell but was not so far impressed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The idea would be to shortlist a few laptops and then go in stores to physically inspect them.
As you can imagine this is a big investment and it's always nice to have a look at them before you spend this money.

Look forward to your suggestions.

psd99

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you want to go into a store and view it, then PCW will be one of the easy options - it isn't as bad as it used to be for the price.

Something like the FUJITSU SIEMENS LI 1818 on PCW (search : 837884 for £499) seems ok, it has a 17" LCD, 2GB Ram, 160GB storage (good for a laptop) and a DVD Rewriter. The graphics card isn't for any gaming though, but it should be a good little internet/office machine. The CPU is a dual core T5300 (1.73Ghz), which isn't too bad for a laptop.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
If you want to go into a store and view it, then PCW will be one of the easy options - it isn't as bad as it used to be for the price.

Something like the FUJITSU SIEMENS LI 1818 on PCW (search : 837884 for £499) seems ok, it has a 17" LCD, 2GB Ram, 160GB storage (good for a laptop) and a DVD Rewriter. The graphics card isn't for any gaming though, but it should be a good little internet/office machine. The CPU is a dual core T5300 (1.73Ghz), which isn't too bad for a laptop.

thanks admin I think you mean this one:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/837884

looks good
ive taken a note and will put it down as an option

Reaction score
the other question that is making me wonder.

How much of a difference will I notice between a core 2 duo and a core duo
i am struggling to understand where they would come in to effect.

looks like i will start reading more!

Ask a Question