New Computer

Reaction score
Hello,

As a new member to this site I thought I would start by asking for advice.

I have saved up for a new computer and I have up to £3000 to blow. I want to get a system that could run a NASA space mission, whilst also playing the most graphic intensive game imaginable. In short the most powerful system I can buy for the money

However, with all the adverts boasting that that they have the best I would appreciate some advice as to which one to go for.

Also, is this the time to buy or is some new technology just around the corner that is worth waiting for.

Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Reaction score
Spend £3000 on a pc and many people will have 'seen you coming' m8. There's a company called 'Alienware' that advertise systems for, say, £2500 that u could build for £1500...and there are others that charge £5,000 for pc's that arrive in crates and are absolutely top range cutting edge, and no argument...the problem is that they will be mid-range within 6-12 months.

If I had £3,000 to blow on a PC, I'd spend half now on a top end 'chine, and keep the other £1500 on ice to keep the rig 'current'...put in a couple of SATA 'Raptor' drives when they get bigger than 36Gb, for example. Perhaps, hold back for AMD's jump into 64 bit computing next year...etc...

Only one kind of person will be impressed by a £3K system...that's someone who has no idea of what goes into a PC or how to put one together, and is simply impressed by prices. If you're not building it yourself and u want to buy off the shelf, then many companies, like Dell, for example, will be happy to rip u off with bog standard kit and charge u a fortune for a 'service' pack and a 'black' paintjob.

Alternatively...give me the £3K, and i'll build u a system that will kick butt, and i'll deliver it to your doorstep, guarantee it for 12 months with onsite repair, and I'll give u a 'reacharound', gratis.

U could check out my 'Ultimate self-build' thread to compare that with off-the shelf suppliers specs...I priced it at around £2K....(so suppliers may charge around £3K for it I guess)...Or post the specs of any proposed buys here, and I'm sure u'll get feedback.:spin:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I agree with Integer 100% when it comes to spending 1500 now and save the rest for upgrade later. Buying something for 3000 now will surely get you a top of the line machine but it will eventually become obsolete in very near future.

At the most your budget should be 2000 and use the balance spread over a period of one year, that way you will be better off.

I also have no reason to disagree with most of what Integer says.

Wait for a couple of other members to post and see what their opinion is. The decision will however be yours. Only you decide what to do, take as much advice from this board, ITS FREE!:D :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Can't add to the posts above ... £3000 is OTT even for an of the shelf system ... but I would enjoy spending it for you. :D

Reaction score
Gentlemen, Gentlemen,

I have been suitably remonstrated; I particularly appreciate 1teger's offer of a "reacharound" however I am not that way inclined.

Having officially been classed as a "more money than sense" type of guy I will obviously have to mend my ways. To this end, have you gurus of silicon advice on where I can learn how to build my own machine? This is the reason that I have been going for a system rather than building my own.:confused:

Also, where are the best places to buy the components?

Anyway, thanks for your input (I mean that honestly) so far and take that I am suitably penitent. :embarasse

THOUGHT: If a leopard changes its spots, is it still a leopard?:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry if we gave the impression of 'more money than sense' I assure you it was not our intention ... I for one would love to spend £3000 on a new system. ;)

If you are keen to learn how to 'build your own' then pop over here for a good read, it will give you a good idea of what your letting yourself in for.

If you do decide to try it yourself, and it is very gratifying when the project is completed, pop back here and we'll all muck in for the best/needed components & where best to get them from.

What part of the World are you from?

Reaction score
Originally posted by Soojer
Gentlemen, Gentlemen,

I have been suitably remonstrated; I particularly appreciate 1teger's offer of a "reacharound" however I am not that way inclined.

Having officially been classed as a "more money than sense" type of guy I will obviously have to mend my ways. To this end, have you gurus of silicon advice on where I can learn how to build my own machine? This is the reason that I have been going for a system rather than building my own.:confused:

Also, where are the best places to buy the components?

You demonstrated your abundant common sense simply by posting here in the first place, m8!!;)

I wouldn't want you to get the impression that I think £3K is too much to spend on a system - I've spent at least that on mine in the last couple of years - but I'd hate to see you spend it all at once.

There are some components that are worth forking out for that will last for a good few years, and if I had the money I would get them...e.g. an Iiyama 22'' monitor (£400-500). Unsurpassed quality, even compared to other CRTs, but relatively cheap compared to many smaller TFT's.

A top end DVD writer - £200.
Top end 6.1 speakers £240-£300
Top end Audigy soundcard - £140
...etc...
These are things that will last a while and probably well worth the cash if u have it now.

Then there are real luxuries that are ridiculously overpriced but carry a certain 'pose' value:
Hotus Cougar flight Stick...£240 and it's basically nothing more than a joystick that's geared to flight sims and is a direct replica of real fighter jet flight sticks (F16 or something)...made of solid metal, with all the right buttons and stuff. (I want one!!!)

Then there are things to consider for your system itself tho' that will very quickly loose value.
A top end vid card will cost £250-£400, but will loose a lot of value before games emerge that really need them. (Having said that, however, games like Half Life 2, Doom 3, etc will put me in mind of buying a new one8) )

As for building your own...I've been considering posting a 'guide' for peeps here to comment on and add to...maybe I'll do that soon as I'm builkding my new rig in the next couple of days, so I could do some piccy's etc.

Any interest anyone?

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ian Cunningham
A guide would be great use 1nt!

...well the rig is built! I've been taking a few snaps and I'm gonna get some more and it will take a couple of weeks to get it written, but I'll put something together.

;)

Ask a Question