NET USE LPT does not work without being Administrato

G

Hello from Barcelona (Spain). First, I only know a little English so, please, answer in "formal" English. Thanks

I explain my problem. I need to print in Windows XP with a MS-DOS based program (by LPT1). I've tried this

- (Logged as a Local Administrator)
- Install the printer using "Standard TCP/IP port"
- Share the printer as "PRINTER"
- Execute: DEVCON DISABLE *PNP0401 to permit" everyone to change the LPT
- Execute: NET USE LPT1 \\this_same_computer\printe
- Then, if I execute DIR > LPT1 I print in my network compute

That's OK but, If I'm logged as an Standard User, it doesn't work
When I execute NET USE LPT1 \\this_same_computer\printer Windows says ERROR 5, Access denied (translated from Spanish)
The printer is shared and a scripts has execute DEVCON DISABLE *PNP0401 when I logged as an Standard User

If you know another way to redirect LPT1, I accept
Thanks in advance.

G

Check what User Group the "Standard User" is a member of. I believe to access a local port, you have to be a member of the power users group, at a minimum

Sharkbit

----- Albertito wrote: ----

Hello from Barcelona (Spain). First, I only know a little English so, please, answer in "formal" English. Thanks

I explain my problem. I need to print in Windows XP with a MS-DOS based program (by LPT1). I've tried this

- (Logged as a Local Administrator)
- Install the printer using "Standard TCP/IP port"
- Share the printer as "PRINTER"
- Execute: DEVCON DISABLE *PNP0401 to permit" everyone to change the LPT
- Execute: NET USE LPT1 \\this_same_computer\printe
- Then, if I execute DIR > LPT1 I print in my network compute

That's OK but, If I'm logged as an Standard User, it doesn't work
When I execute NET USE LPT1 \\this_same_computer\printer Windows says ERROR 5, Access denied (translated from Spanish)
The printer is shared and a scripts has execute DEVCON DISABLE *PNP0401 when I logged as an Standard User

If you know another way to redirect LPT1, I accept
Thanks in advance.

G

My really problem is to access to my own computer by' the network. When I execute
NET USE LPT1 \\MY_OWN_COMPUTER\MY_SHARED_PRINTER it ask about an user but any user I've tried works right.
If I put the Local Administrator user, with his password, it says "Error number 5, Access denied" (translated from Spanish).
It's the same with any user. :(

Ask a Question