Windows XP Nero On The Cheap

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have Nero Ultra V6 installed on one machine. Properly speaking, you're supposed to buy a seperate copy of this program for each machine you have it installed upon. OK, going by the rule book, I thought I'd see how cheap I could get Nero V6 on another machine.

Many suppliers will sell you an OEM version of Nero V6 for about £3.30, including CCL & overclockers.co.uk. I bought mine from overclockers as part of an order with several items, to save on postage. If you order Nero on it's own, I've a feeling the postage will cost more than the product. Whatever.

So, I installed it, and it's not the Ultra version, it's the Express version. basically, this is a user friendly version with a very easy to understand GUI. It doesn't seem to have all the technical bells & whistles of the Ultra version but I had a good look around and I managed to access all the settings I was interested in, so to all intents and purposes, it does the job for me.

But, it didn't have the option to burn video to DVD's. And that's one of the main things I use Nero for, to burn captured video footage to DVD.

Checking on Nero's site, I noticed this feature was an upgrade to the OEM version, it has mpeg decoders and some other stuff. Basically, it will convert your catured mpeg files to a DVD friendly format and then burn it. There's also quite a few effects you can add, titles, chapters and so on. You can also burn several short video captures to one DVD and they will come up as chapters when you put the burnt DVD in your player.

This is a good thing :)

The upgrade cost $24.99, I paid by credit card, I don't know exactly how much that is in sterling yet but I'm guessing it will be around £15.00.

So, for around £18.00, I have a full set of Nero facilities, all the stuff I need, anyway. And this program works well.

Also, you can download all the latest Nero updates and bring your cheapo version up to the latest specs. If you're using Win XP, this is mandatory, as older versions of Nero V6 won't work with SP2, you need the Nero updates.

The full version of Nero costs between £40.00 and £60.00 depending on where you shop, for under twenty quid I have a full set of burning facilities.

If you're a bit strapped for cash and you want this thing, this is the way to go.

Happy burning :)

Reaction score
yes definetly thats a good deal u got there, ive got nero 6 i think its probably one of the best softwares around at this moment in time!

Ask a Question