Windows XP Name that Windows

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Here is a list of Windows Codenames … Can you Name them.

Snowball

Daytona

Cairo

Chicargo

Nashville

Neptune

Odyssey

Whistler

Longhorn

Blackcomb

Mira

Freestyle

TCPA/Palladium

:D

Answers;
Snowball
Windows for Workgroups 3.11

Daytona
Windows NT 3.5

Cairo
Planned successor to Windows NT. Never emerged as a concerted whole

Chicargo
Windows 95

Nashville
The Internet Explorer 4 enhancements to Windows, originally planned as a web-based Windows version

Neptune
Originally a project for a ‘consumer’ version of NT combined with Odyssey to form Whistler

Odyssey
The proposed successor to Windows 2000, combined with Neptune to form Whistler

Whistler
Named after a Canadian ski resort, this re-unification of Windows NT/2000 and 95/98/ME versions emerged as Windows XP

Longhorn
Successor to XP, named after a popular après-ski bar in Whistler

Blackcomb
A Canadian mountain and the project successor to Longhorn

Mira
Windows CE .NET-based smart display device technology

Freestyle
Windows XP Media Centre

TCPA/Palladium
TPA stands for the “Trusted Computing Platform Alliance” and it’s an initiative led by Intel with a goal of creating safer, more secure PC’s. Palladium is software designed by Microsoft to exploit it. Together, they will provide a PC that makes it possible for companies to control how their hardware and software is used.

Just what is meant by “safer” and “more secure” depends on who is telling the story.

Palladium advocates were claiming that the technology would stop snooping, viruses and even spam but more recently, Microsoft has distanced itself from these claims. What is known is that Palladium will provide ways to create encrypted files that can only be read on “trusted” computers, destroy files after a certain length of time or number of uses and control the use of applications. The idea of the originator of a file being able to delete it from the remote computer will also be welcomed by software and media companies keen on stamping out piracy.

Trusted Computing, however, has its critics, who argue that the “trust” is one way and not to the user’s advantage. As privacy crusader Ross Anderson puts it: “Suppose the US government had the facility to disable ever copy of Microsoft Office in China?”

This Information has been gathered from around the Globe.

Enjoy!
Mucks. :D

Reaction score
I got most of those, except for the pre-chicago ones, and a few of the non-released ones (but I knew what Neptune and Odyssey were). Oh, and Palladium isn't an OS codename. :p

Ask a Question