Windows XP MSN Messenger 7.0 (BETA) Review

Reaction score
Right, So this morning i slept in and missed my bus. I log onto computer and cousin sends me this - MSN messenger 7.0 - woah! i didn't even know there would be one!

- - -
So i installed it and patched it (you can't just log in after install as aparently it's banned by Microsoft) and i logged in.

- - -
Here is the new login page:
attachment.php

and the main MSN window is also quite different to 5.1 and 6:
attachment.php

There are some nice features in the chat windows too - some quite funny ones...

attachment.php

and the little pop up box has even changed!
attachment.php

- - -

So as you can see, quite a significant and aesthetically pleaseing improvement to the already good MSN messenger series. I am not sure when the program is set to be officially launched, but I have read it will be early 2005.
- - -

You can find the BETA version (Required) here, the CVR un-blocking tool (Required) here and the Cosmetic patch (Highly reccomended) here

Overall, i would give this program (so far) a 7 out of 10 because of the following bugs (note that these bugs are not apparent on all systems)
01) In the information bar in top of a conversation they forgot an n (hard enter) to separate the contact's status line with your status (eg. "her status is set to Busy.Your status is currently...").

02) You can't select the default backgrounds in the backgrounds tab.

03) When you disable the automatic playback of Winks you can still receive them.

04) Even with Nudging disabled they will still cause your conversation window to open.

05) With Nudging disabled it emulates receiving a text message (flashing taskbar) but no text will be received.

06) The previews for :'( (Crying face) and :| (Disappointed smile) look the same in the emoticons selector.

07) When adding the same emoticon 6 times, click Close and try to re-add an emoticon with the same shortcut as the old one it says it already exists.

08) When you resize the contact list too fast you can still have trimmed nicknames and unaligned ones.

09) When sending the icecream wink "Crying" the sounds loops forever.

10) When switching between the Message History log and a different window, "Connecting..." appears in the middle of the log.

11) When resizing a Message History log "Connecting..." appears in the middle.

12) When adding an animating gif with unlimited looping it only loops one time. What you need to do is make it repeat 65535 times to fake unlimited loops.

13) You can't "Get more" winks.

14) Phone bug (crashes MSN Messenger).

15) Sometimes the contact list randomly fades.

16) When a contact uses an illegal character and you try to view that person's chat log, MSN Messenger closes.

17) When you double-click on the hide/show DP it sometimes gets stuck inside the frame.

18) When sending custom animating emoticons you see the frames compressed into 19x19 pixels, but the destination contact sees them just fine. After your reboot you will see them correctly too.

19) When sending the same animated emoticon twice you see it full size.

20) You can't click a custom animating emoticon in your emoticon list if it has a same shortcut as a default emoticon.

21) When you click a Wink before the menu is fully loaded MSN Messenger crashes.

22) No content in the status information bar when your status is set to Busy.

Thats all folks. I hope you liked this review.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited By Mucks
Sorry Chris, But the little sticky note "I'm partial to a little ... " had to go.
Please be cearfull in future. ;)

Attachments

• untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,887
  • untitled4.JPG
    untitled4.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 2,034
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 2,201
  • untitled7.JPG
    untitled7.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 4,355
Last edited:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Chris

I know that you and others LURVVV their MSN (I hav 2 folks here and assorted friennds) but I just wondered whether there will be even more 'nasties' getting through to my PC than ever b4?

You may not know, but I thought I'd ask!!

Love

Gabriella x

Reaction score
Gabriella,

I did not think that there were any security issues with MSN before - i may, of course, be totally wrong.

I would imagine that it would be no "worse" than previous versions as its just an improvement, not a re-write (or so i assume) - again, i may be wrong.

I think that a good Firewall coupled with a decent AV program and adaware should keep you safe.

Chris

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've had MSN for years and years, never had a problem with virus's or wpyware from it though.

You get the virus's and spyware when you start installing the extra smily's and plus packs from dodgy sites.

If you stick with MSN, and dont bother adding any of those un official packs for it, you should be fine. Though you should have youe firewall and anti virus on anyway, just in case ;).

Reaction score
why can i not edit my post?!

Find the edited attachment... if someone could replace the broken image with the new edited one?

Apologies mucks - i totally forgot about that bit. It's edited out now.

Ask a Question