Outlook Microsoft Outlook Problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently using Microsoft Outlook to access my hotmail account and I have been happily using it for years but now I have this small but very annoying problem.

A couple of weeks ago I sent a very big e-mail (18mb) to be honest I knew it wouldn't send but I thought I might as well try and so I did but as I suspected it failed but outlook has done something very strange. When the message is trying to be sent I get a message saying error sending e-mail and so I delete the message from the outbox but it won't let me it says 'Message has begun Transmitting' and doesn't matter how hard I try it just won't move. I have tried moving it into another file but it won't let me. I have deleted all my sent items in my hotmail account but it still won't move.

This is very annoying as whenever I try to access outlook it spends an hour on trying to send it and then fails. Every time I close outlooks it pop-up with a message saying Are you sure you want to close as you are still sending an e-mail' Also when outlook is running my internet becomes very slow and it is becoming very annoying.

I have thought about un-installing and installing Outlook but I have a lot of personal folders in Outlook is there a way to keep them?

Thanks for any help given.

Reaction score
It's stuck in a loop :(

Best plan is stick with it for one more session. Grab all emails you need into personal folders, then file->import/export->personal folders(.pst) .. do this for each set of personal folders (start from the top of each personal folder tree and remember to tick the "include subfolders".

Once you have taken a solid backup with that method, you can safely uninstall Outlook. Then make sure that documents & settings/yourname/local settings/application data/microsoft/outlook/ is empty before you reinstall.

Then you can reinstall and file->import your .psts :)

Reaction score
just try deleting your outbox database file first - then opening outlook to see if it automatically writes a new one without the dodgy message.

That SHOULD work, backup your emails and reinstall if not.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
just try deleting your outbox database file first - then opening outlook to see if it automatically writes a new one without the dodgy message.

That SHOULD work, backup your emails and reinstall if not.

and how excatly do i do that?

Reaction score
try going to www.hotmail.com and see if it's (or part of it) is on the server, if so delete it. when using http mail through a mail client such as outlook it (being your mailbox) works directly off the server.

J

Reaction score
Techy said:
try going to www.hotmail.com and see if it's (or part of it) is on the server, if so delete it. when using http mail through a mail client such as outlook it (being your mailbox) works directly off the server.

J

I did a search on hotmail and i could not find it anywhere

Reaction score
Find where Outlook stores the email databases (theres an option in options for this) and you press a button to open the folder where you will see the DBX files, delete outbox.

Backup your emails first!

Reaction score
That's for outlook express. Outlook uses a single instance database (.ost) rather than individual databases (.dbx).

Reaction score
an ost is an offline folder, this is not used unless you syncronise your emails

outlook keeps email on the server, whether it be exchnager server or hotmails server unless you save them to the local machine.

now about hotmail, i meant have a look at your outbox within your account in webmail.

Reaction score
This is very strange....

I uninstalled outlook and re-installed, and without inporting my back-up emails, the ennoying e-mil was still there, sitting in the outbox.

Does this mean this is a hotmail problem, do i need to contact them or anything?

Thanks for all your help

Reaction score
I login to hotmail but there is not outbox folder or even the word outbox anwhere.

Well as far as i can see i might just be blind.

Reaction score
not in any of these folders? (ignore my personal ones)

attachment.php

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 542

Ask a Question