Windows XP Microsoft FREE Update CD

Reaction score
Hi All,

No one seems to have mentioned this yet so i thought i would. Microsoft have made a free critial update CD available, this covers all Windows 98/98SE/ME/2K/XP critical updates up to October 2003. This CD contains the patch which fixes the RPC vulnerability, the cause of the w32.Blaster.Worm (SARC), this should come in very useful after a format where the patch can be installed before an internet connection is established.
Also included is a firewall and anti virus software, although i think these are only trials.

All you need to do to obtain a free copy of this CD is signup for a .NET passport then visit the link below.

I think this is one of the most effective actions Microsoft have taken in the computer security war, Let's hope they keep it up!

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/security/protect/alert.mspx?gssnb=1

Regards

James

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Re: ... and another reason to get your CD

Netsky doesn’t need an attachment

Get your free patch here

The latest variant of the Netsky worm can infect computers without any attachments being opened.

Most viruses try to trick users into double-clicking a file attachment to an email. Netsky.V exploits flaws in Microsoft software to gain access to home computers.

The email carries subject lines such as “Please wait while loading failed message”. When viewed, code hidden in the email hunts the internet for a PC that is already infected, so it can download a copy of its own destructive element.

Software patches that fix the problem have been available from Microsoft’s website for some time. But many dial-up users have been put off downloading them because they are often large in size and can take hours to retrieve.

Microsoft has released a summery of its security patches on CD.
This can be ordered FREE of charge at the website below.

www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

Be prepared for a bit of a wait to receive yours … you will get one, and it’s free. :cool:

Reaction score
Netsky.V or any other virus can only execute in a HTML based e-mail and not text, that right mucks?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Both plain text and HTML mail may carry malware attachments but with HTML there is a significantly greater risk since some malware can exploit vulnerabilities in the HTML parser to automatically execute code as soon as the message is viewed in the preview pane.

So, turn off the preview pain (pun intended) as well. ;)

Ask a Question