Laptop needed - Budget of £500

Reaction score
Dear all,

I have a budget of £500 and looking for a laptop. Don't need anything major, just need to browse the web, run my dive software, wireless, decent size hard disk, min of 512mb ram (1Gb if poss). Main purpose is to transport to dive sites, plan and log dives and to transfer photos from the camera after each dive. 17" screen would be nice also :)

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks,

ian

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Went for Dell Inspiron 6400 in the end from an ebay shop. Nearly £300 cheaper than the customised spec on the Dell website, including laptop case. New, warranty. Only went £50 over budget also.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Glad to be of help Ian...Hope everything works out with the new Dell...

Reaction score
Sorry to butt in on this forum but I just wanted to ask some questions regarding laptops.....

I'm also trying to buy a laptop for around the 400-500 mark.

Most laptops in this range have a CPU of 1.7Ghz Intel.

Is this CPU powerful enough to run graphics and CAD programs? (2 at the same time)

I'm considering this laptop as I've found it 2nd hand.

http://www.technoworld.com/laptops/Sony_Vaio_A517B_VGN-A517B.htm

Everything about it is great (RAM can be upgraded to 2GB) EXCEPT that the CPU is only 1.7GHz. I've never worked on a PC or laptop with less than 3GHz........so will I be able to tell the difference? If yes, in what way??

Ask a Question