Laptop keyboard acting up after Logitech keyboard removed

G

I have an Acer Aspire laptop running XP Home. I connected a Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard to one of the USB 2.0 ports. Keyboard was recognized and worked with no problem. No software was installed from the inlcuded CD.

When the keyboard was removed and the laptop re-started, laptop's keyboard would not type characters correctly. It now assumes that characters that are produced when the Function key is pressed are the default characters of the relevant keys. For example: the key for the letter "O" has the numeral "6" next to it that, under normal conditions, would be produced ONLY if you press function. Now hitting "O" produces 6 and if Function is pressed "O" appears. In other words, keyboard has REVERSED all Function characters into default characters.

Logitech keyboard, when connected back the USB port, works flawlessly

Any ideas as to what is happening will be appreciated.

R

Rob Schneider

Do you have "numlocks" on for your laptop keyboard? Read the
manufacturer's instructions for the key to press to toggle on/off the
"numlocks".

If you look carefully, you'll see a 6 on O key, along with a 5 on i, 4
on U, 1 on J, 2 on K, 3 on L, ec. which are the "number" keys turned on
when numlock turn on.

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

G

Rob: You are a lifesaver. The external keyboard had the NumLock turned on. When I switched it off, the laptop returned to its normal condition. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I simply couldn't think what to do...

Ask a Question