Windows XP Lagacy Applications ... xp style

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You might not care much for the new Windows XP look, but XP’s ability to do more than just change a few colours and fonts … called ‘themes’ … makes it a much more stylish operating environment than its predecessors. However, you need to be running ‘them-aware’ applications to get the full benefit of it. Or do you? A surprising number of older programs can be persuaded to adopt an XP-themed look, by following this simple tip.

First, use Notepad to create a file called XP.manifest, copy and past the text below. Now use … File, Save As … to save a copy into the folder of a program you want to adopt the XP style. If the filename is … myapp.exe … give the manifest file the name … myapp.exe.manifest. To get Notepad to save a file without appending ‘.txt’ to the name, put the whole name in quotes. In the listing below the line ‘name=”test.exe”’ should probably be changed to ‘name=”myapp.exe”’ (in this example) too, but it doesn’t seem to matter.

Now start the program. With luck, you’ll find that buttons and other interface controls have adopted the XP look. If so, you’re home and dry. You can make as many copies of the ‘manifest’ file as you need, to spruce up your other applications.

If it was really this simple, of course,Microsoft would have made all programs take the XP look by default and saved me all this bother. The ‘manifest’ is really intended for use by software developers who have actually tested their programs under Windows XP to be sure that they work. Designed-for-XP applications have the ‘manifest’ built into them, so you won’t need a separate ‘manifest’ file.

*** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***

Some programs misbehave if you try to use this tip. Word 2000 just ignores the manifest file but its companion version of Excel (Excel 2000) literally crashes on take-off. If you experience problems with an application, just delete the ‘manifest’ file and all should be well again. I take NO responsibility for this tip messing up your system.

*** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***

XP.manifest

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity type="win32"
name="test.exe"
version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="x86"

/>
<description>Test Application</description>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>