KGB's Computer Problems...

Reaction score
OK, this may be a long post, so please bear with me. i am going to list all my PC problems...

1) PC freezes after DVD, game and NAV. (please see other post)

2) PS/2 issue. I have plugged a PS2 keyboard and mouse into my PC. if i hit "DEL" it will enter BIOS setup fine. When i get to the windows login screen, the mouse works fine, and the keyboard does not. The mouse will work until i press anything on the keyboard, then the mouse will stop completely

3) when i can login, i got the Windows Explorer showing me "C://Program Files/Belking 54g..." and there is nothing in the "start up" folder of the start menu, or anything on the start up list - what is it?

4) Mouse time delay. When playing a DVD, and i press the "play/pause" button on my mouse, (Logitech MediaPlay Mouse) nothing happenes for about 1 min before it will pause. (may be linked to Q1)

5) Windows will not shut down unless it is told twice to do it. (usually this happenes, but it always happenes if MS Outlook is running when i try to shut down)

6) Email - NAV will scan an email about 3 mins before it shows up in my inbox (mozilla thunderbird or outlook)

7) VoIP & PCTV! - I have Pinncle PCTV USB2 (video in box) and when it is installed i cannot install my VOIP Phone. it will say "found new hardware" then call it a "PCTV USB2 AUDIO" rather than a "USB VOIP CYBERPHONE" if i uninstall PCTV it still says this, even if i uninstall the audio codecs from the device manager.

8) Internal Belkin 54g network card will not connect to any network unless ADHOC.

9) Broadband running at Dial-up speed. i have a 24MBps connection with the wireless router and a 512kbps broadband, but it is downloading pages slower than a dial up connection

10) computer will crash for no reason

<----- LAPTOP PROBLEMS ----->

11) when using MSN, my laptop will suddelny stop writing what i am typing, and will resume 10 secconds later

---------------------------------
################
---------------------------------

I have run NAV, and will run MS anti spyware (as soon as i can login)

I really need your help on ANY of the problems i am having

please help me!

Thanks,

KGB

Reaction score
RE 2): When ever i plug my USB keyboard in, it seems to think i am presing "enter" all the time, so it is constantly comming up with "the system cannot log you in, please check your username and password"

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Truthfully? I'd format it... you seem to have quite a few problems there. You probably have some little nasty running that shouldn't, but if you have backups of all your info a good cleanout would do no harm.

Incidentally, I had the same keyboard problem every so often - I rang dell and got a new keyboard sent and it solved the problem... unlikely its the same problem for you, but perhaps try swapping it with a spare.

Reaction score
The USB keyboard is dud, i cannot get the PS2 keyboard to login, i have tried 2 times. i will go into BIOS now and see if there is a setting or something

Reaction score
I will ASAP! but for now... i need to get the PS/2 keyboard to work, i dont have another USB one, and the USB one i have doest work properly.

I am not going to reformat until i get my files off, i cant get them off until i login, i cant do that without a keyboard

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just get a £3 cheapie from a local computer shop, or borrow one. :)

Reaction score
i will try to find out why this one is messing up the login first, it is the keyboard, not the PC, i am positive

still dosent explain my PS2, there is no option in BIOS

Reaction score
Problem 2) has been sorted by whacking my USB keyboard! it had a dodgy enter key, i think i have put it right now...

PS2 still dont work :mad:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
If you can log in i suggest to try and do a system restore before Formating it.

Reaction score
also kgb

i think its in xp

save your settings
so u can still use the same settings on ur new win xp installation

what u rekon?

Reaction score
I think it would be better if i set everyhting up again, that kind of thing always seems to mess stuff up for me

all files have been backed up, 4 DVD's worth.

I am about to reformat, and am wandering, is the best way to do it to put the XP CD in and use the format wizard thing, or to preform a format somother way, ie in DOS

What do you think?

Reaction score
Im gonna start the format at 8:00 so i have the time to sort out the PC until 2 or 3.

If i dont have a reply by then, i will go for a NTFS format using the windows wizard thing

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
Im gonna start the format at 8:00 so i have the time to sort out the PC until 2 or 3.

If i dont have a reply by then, i will go for a NTFS format using the windows wizard thing

imo, best to let Win XP do it, that way you can be sure your disk is formatted with the later version of NTFS. And choose 'format' not 'quick format'

Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks flopps, i am gonna need it. i will try to run the instilation from a PS/2 keyboard... get windows used to it, maybe it will work this time...

Reaction score
yes good luck KGB!

this is all your efforts in one nites work

i hate reinstalling its soooooooooooo long

Reaction score
How long does a format usually take? it has been going for about 40 mins. (80GB HDD) nearly finnished though

Ask a Question