John Peel RIP

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I feel like a part of me’s just gone missing. This guy was with me from my teens until very recently. I last saw him when I was lucky enough to win tickets to a recording session for the Magic band at London’s Maida Vale studios, in July.

He was very amiable to all of us who went along for the session and very witty.

I listened to his radio station most every evening he was broadcasting.

He was also the only DJ to reply with a handwritten letter when I made enquiries about a band, in the seventies.

He attended our school in my sixth year there and spoke to us for a couple of hours about anything we wanted to.

He was truly one of the good guys. His loss, to me, right now is immeasurable.

I’m dumbstruck.

News

Obituary

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It's such a shame that we don't see more guys like him, and even more of a shame that such wonderful people always seem to die before their time.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just had another memory sortta John Peel related.

It was around '73, he used to play the sounds every Sunday evening in a hall over the top of a pub called the Bull in East Sheen, that's between Putney & Richmond (SW london).

I was on an agency at the time and when Peely went on holiday, they chose me to replace him for two Sundays. I went down OK as well, which made me rather chuffed :)

The equipment I was using then was kinda archaic, but it sounded OK: a pair of 4 x 12 Orange Columns, a 200 watt Selmer Valve Mixer Amp, 3 x turntables with crystal cartridges, all in glorius mono. Plugged the Mic straight into the amp. Probably had a few lights as well, can't remember. And a battered old Transit van.

*sigh*

It's going to be odd turning on the radio and not hearing him anymore :(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and fortuatly for me, I can listen off the web. ;)

Ask a Question