Windows XP isp blocking

Reaction score
my father has just bought a time computer with supanet pre installed and it will not load any other isp, when the disk is installed a box pops up saying 'application will not run'. we have tried several discs and isp's so i think supanet is blocking any other isp installation. i have also tried removing supanet in the add/remove programs menu but cannot find it. the computer is running windows xp so i have tried installing through connection wizzard with no success. does anybody have any ideas? thanks for your time. yetti

Reaction score
more than likely, but there pretty much all locked to supanet now. if you give them a ring they'll be able to unlock it for you, just ignore the sales pitch for supanet and say you don't want it.

it's very likely there's another way round this but i haven't really looked into it, but basically if you remove the supanet dialler and install a different driver for the modem (time/tiny modems that are locked are usually Hayes 56k) it should (should being the key word) work although this is untested.

J

Reaction score
This is the "Dedicated high speed Supanet optimised 56K modem" also referred to as an Internexus modem.

Take a look on the Chetnet forums, specifically the thread http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1975
- theres 4 pages of it!

Having just done this myself its a case of downloading the generic HSF modem driver from the Conexant website (www.conexant.com) and then clearing the Supanet reminder by registering/logging on with a PAYG account.

If you are in any doubt you can also download Conexant's 'listmodem' tool which will confirm (or not) if you can use the generic driver.

The problem then goes away!

Also for anyone elses info this problem will afflict all PCs from the Time Group - Tiny, Time, Colossus, Platina and also the 'Dabs Value' range of PCs, as it seems that this line of PCs is built by Time for Dabs - they include the infamous words: "Internet Access with Dedicated High Speed supanet Optimized 56k Modem" :(

Alledgedly there is some unlocking dowload you can get when you loginto Supanet's portal but I haven't tried that as the solution above worked for me!

When I get time I'll put all this on a webpage somewhere - after I've reported Time to Ofcom or the Competition Commision for anti-competitive practices.....

HTH

Reaction score
Free Tiny Modem Unlocking Solution

100% safe and tested unlock method - go to http://www.tiny.com/deopt and enter any old name, no order no., and check the warning box. Make a note of the code it gives you, then download the unlocker, enter the code and you're away! One unlocked modem.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Agreed - wise words indeed!! - Time are cheap and nasty with the most horrible after sales service you're ever likely to experience....
floppybootstomp said:
or just don't buy a Time PC in the first place....

Ask a Question