Introducing Opteron...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Anandtech have a concise article on the up and comming Opteron CPUs (a multiprocessor capable Hammer core):

One of the big announcements today is the introduction of an entirely new brand for all multiprocessor capable Hammer based parts. The name is Opteron and although it somewhat reminds us of the pain we went through when the Duron was announced, it's here to stay. The idea behind Opteron is to build off of the Latin root optimus meaning best or if you play with the translation a bit you get optimal unit or flagship. Indeed this is AMD's goal for the server/workstation processor as the Hammer was originally designed as a server/workstation part and later watered down for the desktop and mobile markets. This is a departure from the Athlon (K7) processor which was first designed as a mainstream desktop part with mobile, workstation and server parts later spun off from it.

Read the article here

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Now who the heck thought that NAME up. :confused:

Opteron ... Opt-eron ... Opt-e-ron.

New name... ItNocksSpotsOfInteleron. :D

Reaction score
I think we'll get used to it. At least the Clawhammer will still be called Athlon _____. Probably Athlon Opteron. ;)

Ask a Question