Internet Explorer, Control Panel and Explorer not working

Symptoms: The administrator account on my XP Home machine is working fine. I've updated the machine with all of the security patches from MS. The problem is with the secondary account. It was working fine, for over a year, and just recently has started having the following problems. Internet explorer will open, begin to load www.msn.com and then will freeze, I have to force it closed with Task Manager. If I try to start Windows explorer or Control Panel, nothing happens. When I try to logoff the account, I get explorer.exe not responding, so I force it closed, and the account logs off successfully. Event viewer says COM+ failed to launch the logon, logoff, displaylock, displayunlock events as well as an error for IE saying "Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000."

Attempted Fixes: I've tried to re-install IE, but can't get enough of the cryptography turned off to get passed the "This software has not passed Windows XP logo test". I've followed almost all of the steps on support doc Q822798, and got tired of messing with it. I installed Mozilla and the secondary account and can access the internet just fine with it. I've set the secondary account from restricted to Adminstrator level, no changes. I've re-registered a bunch of internet based dll's as recommended in the support section, with no changes. I've tweaked some registry settings to try and get different flags flipped in the OS, but no changes. I contemplated removing the security patches, but when warned that every program on my machine might not work if I uninstall, I chickened out.

Possible Solutions Remaining: The only two things I can think of left, are to try and re-install XP over the top of itself or format my c: and go with a fresh install, but I'm concerned as soon as I apply the security patches again, the same problem will arise, so I'm hoping to find a fix.

Any help you can provide, would be appreciated. The machine is a dell laptop, inspiron 2500 w/ 256MB and 20GB, not that it matters.

Thanks.

Greg

Kelly

Hi Greg,
Attempted Fixes: I've tried to re-install IE, but can't get enough of the
cryptography >turned off to get passed the "This software has not passed
Windows XP logo test".

Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 wintrust.dll

Correct the Cryptographic Service Error Message
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_cryptofix.vbs

Greg said:
[...]

First, thanks for replying and attempting to help.

I already tried re-registering the following dll's as suggested in MS
knowledge base article 822798 and in your vbs script, and
unfortuneately that didn't fix my problem.

Might you have any other suggestions? ( Nice web site, btw ). I'm
open to any suggestions.

regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll

Greg

Greg said:
[...]

Most welcome, Greg. I can only suggest from here checking with the update
group to see which (if any) has caused this. Good luck!