Internal speaker nonfunctioning on dial out

G

After reinstalling Windows XP (without reformatting) following a n invalid Boot.ini the internal speaker no longer operates on dial out although I have set it's vol to max

C

Carrie Garth

chasf said:
After reinstalling Windows XP (without reformatting) following a n invalid Boot.ini
the internal speaker no longer operates on dial out although I have set it's vol to
max

If you turn on ToggleKeys does the system speaker beep when you press the CAPS LOCK
key? For more information on how to "Turn on ToggleKeys" search the Help and Support
Center for the phrase in double-quotes.

If the system speaker does not beep using ToggleKeys check to make certain that
Device usage for the non-plug and play driver named beep.sys (which is used by the
system speaker) is set to "Use this device (enabled). To view these types of drivers
and there status:

- Click Start, click Run, type the following command and click OK: devmgmt.msc
- From the menu bar choose View | Show Hidden Devices
- Open the Non-Plug and Play Drivers node and double-click Beep

And if Beep is enabled in Device Manager, but the system speaker still does not beep,
perhaps the file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\beep.sys) is corrupt. Try replacing it
with a copy from your installation source (\i386\beep.sy_). For more information on
how to use expand command to retrieve the compressed file from the installation
source search the Help and Support Center for "Extracts a file from a compressed
file" and in the Full-text Search Matches click Expand.

Ask a Question