Intel Phases Out RDRAM

Reaction score
Officials at Intel Corp. have at last confirmed that the company is phasing out PC and workstation support of RDRAM from Rambus Inc. in favor of DDR SDRAM.

Analysts said this is the winding down of Rambus at Intel, although RDRAM will continue to be supported in the niche Intel market. It marks the final chapter of Rambus' once dominant partnership with Intel, which tried but failed to dictate RDRAM as the next generation PC main memory.

EBN had reported last February that company roadmaps showed that no future Intel server chipsets offered RDRAM support, but this was never officially confirmed. Now key officials at the Intel Developers Forum here acknowledge the end of the line for any new RDRAM chipsets in both desktop and workstationplatforms.

Take that, Rambus! To me, it was an interesting concept, but the fact that you had to buy it in pairs, and fill in any empty slots was just a major turnoff to me. Here comes DDR II. Check out the full article over at Silicon Strategies.

Reaction score
Memory Concern

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so please be gentle.

I am attempting to build my very own super computer, I had thought of buying an INTEL D850EMV2 Motherboard which uses RDRAM RIMM memory. With the announcement that Rambus and Intel are parting does this mean that there will be no support for that type of memory? Does this mean the price of it will drop or increase. Also is this the right kind of board for me, I am looking for a board which will take a Pentium 4 2.4GHz or faster, with a FSB of 400/533MHz and ATA 100 or 133 compatible. I was all set to buy this board but the place I had in mind sold out and since I have read less than favourable reviews about it, please can anyone suggest a decent board?:spin:

Reaction score
I'm more of an AMD man, so I can't really reccomend any motherboards, but I will say that Intel will still be supporting existing RDRAM chipsets, but will not be producing any new ones, only DDR. I imagine the price of RDRAM will have to drop to remain competitive, but eventually people will stop buying as the chipsets that support it will no longer support the latest technologies.

Ask a Question