If you had £1,000,000

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you had £1 Million ($1.7M) to spend on anything you wanted... what would you do? Would you buy a massive house, give it away to charity, invest it or a bit of everything? :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A massive house? For a million quid?

You're joking. This is London.

I'd buy a semi or a nice flat with a garden.

Or failing that, new car, a few nice things, invest the rest and spend the interest.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Well... First off i'd Convert it to American dollars, as pounds in america is how we weigh things.... then i would spend it!!!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Please don't laugh cos we often have the million pound question in our house - I wouldn't want any of it. Never play the lottery and couldn't imagine anything worse than a big win (not that I am a rich bird I hasten to add!!)

Gabs xx

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I would buy an old house as i like the character an old house brings,

Give a quarter to my family,
Buy a new car,
Give my family a decent holiday somewhere hot with a pool and beach and superb view,
And buy some other new things,
Give a £100,000 to various charities of my choice,
And invest the rest to last me for the rest of my days, as long as i didn't have to worry about paying the next bill, then for me that would be comfortable....:D

Reaction score
Pay off the parents Mortgage
Buy Dad a V70 T5
Buy Mum a Suzuki Jimny convertible (automatic)
Pay for the extension into the loft
Do up my 306 completely ridiculously
Buy a nice car like a Volvo or a Golf or something
Put the rest into the bank and hopefully live comfortably off the interest

:)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
It would not make much difference in my lifestyle as I live as if I had that kind of money :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Me...

First I'd set up trust funds for each of my children, not too much because I do think wealth isn't really appreciated if you haven't had to work for it a bit. But enough to give them a good deposit on a home & a bit of money to spend/invest as they chose.

My Mum, A nice little holiday & again, some long term secure investments with some healthy returns. I don't ever want my Mum to end up trapped in the poverty of a pension, it might not leave her wealthy, but at least, even if something happened to me, she would not end up shivering & cold & worrying how to pay the power bill.

For myself... a set amount to travel & play with, & the rest invested, some in long term secure investments with compounding interest. Let that sit & grow for now. My retirement fund.
The rest, mostly in property. Let it sit while the tenants pay it off, using the equity in the houses to slowly expand my portfolio... some for eventual rental income as the morgatges reduce enough, others to resell when their capital value peaks enough to make it worth it.
And a little bit... money I can afford to lose... for stocks & shares.

My primary goal... A high enough rate of return that I can live comfortably off the interest for the rest of my life. Myself, I don't even believe that the 'pension' will even exist by the time I retire & I'm 38yo. The govt has already pruned it to the barest survival minimum & is pushing govt backed retirement funds with such vigour that my feeling is that their goal is to eliminate it altogether.

As for charities? Well if I can bring in enough I can support any charity I choose to as I go. But even if I can't afford to, at least I won't end up being anyone elses charity. Been there & I don't like it.

Can you tell I've thought about this subject? Although I'm not waiting for some windfall on high.
When I was 25 I didn't even know that I needed to be saving for my retirement, now I'm 38 & I've already left it, if not too late, then definitely to the last minute. Gotta lot of catching up to do.

Reaction score
Burn it on a beach!!

Just kidding, i reckon i'd spend it on Booze, Cars and Birds. I'd probably just squander the rest!! ;-)

Reaction score
down to the bank first thing Monday morning! stick it in there for good keeps!

hard as it may seem, but for me it'd be the best in the long run! :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'd invest most of it and watch it grow!

The rest: I would buy a house (3 bedroom detatched), give some to my Mum and Step-Dad, some to my grandparents, and put some in trust for my brother (I wouldn't trust him with it until he's at least 25!)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
buy my dream car, restore and modify it to my liking, buy a 3 bed house, give my parents some and give some to a charity then invest whats left

Reaction score
Alf said:
Well... First off i'd Convert it to American dollars, as pounds in america is how we weigh things.... then i would spend it!!!

Well in that case you'd have closer to 2Million to spend...

I'm sure we'd all buy the fastest PC's possible. I'd start some kind of indie/alternative club chain in Devon - a sort of anti-chav establishment. Alot of towns need those.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Alf said:
Your sights are too low ... try 27,272,551,500 Vietnamese Dong :cool:

I'd invest most of it and watch it grow!
Investments fail too. ;)

I'd buy a semi or a nice flat with a garden.
And you said you where in London ... where you gonna find one of them for under a Mill' :p

It would not make much difference in my lifestyle as I live as if I had that kind of money
Because Quad earns that in a year already. :cool:

Me ... I've never had money, but I sure would love to give out £100 notes walking down a street, just to see if anybody would take one. :D

Reaction score
Me ... I've never had money, but I sure would love to give out £100 notes walking down a street, just to see if anybody would take one.
:D[/QUOTE]

Name the street! name the street!:D

Reaction score
I would open a care centre for abused children! make sure the staff treat them with kindness, and I would spoil them a bit, before they are found a caring family to support them to carry on with their lives as a normal child would.;)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Hello people,

I'm back!

How about investing in a few racks of crunching servers for starters, then invest the rest?

Ask a Question