Outlook I have a problem with Outlook Express.....any ideas???

Reaction score
Ok. So my outlook express was working fine until I decided to add a second email account via my ISP.

This I did successfully with tiscali on their website.

When I went back to Outlook Express I added another email account in the normal way.

But for some reason my first email account now doesn't work. When I open up OE I get a window saying Logon-pop.tiscali.co.uk........but when I logon with my old 1st email address and pasword it doesn't recognize it, but when I logon with my new 2nd email address it does recognize it.

I now realize that my old email address won't accept any incoming mail anymore, just outgoing.

I've rechecked all of my Outlook E. Account details a dozen times and it's all in order!! I just can't figure out the problem.

Has anyone had this problem before????

I'm putting off phoning tiscali as a last resort as they are always pretty unhelpful and exruciatingly slow on the phone.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Try deleting the Tiscali account temporarily and see if the old one works OK.

If not, delete all, add originial account again, see if old one works OK.

That fails, delete Outlook Express, if possible, reinstall, set up old account and see if that works.

Tiscali are not one of the best.

Since you installed their stuff, you've had problems, right?

Consider another ISP.

Reaction score
It's started working for some strange reason....

without me doing anything!!! Is it only me that finds computer technology a bit baffling at times???

I've been with Tiscali for over a year now, and apart from the inital set up (which cost me $$$'s in phone bills to get sorted) it's been OK.

It's just when you decide to change something small.....like add a 2nd email account that things go wrong with Tiscali.

And when things do go wrong you rely on a technical helpline which are premium rate numbers (50p/min) and involves talking to someone in India..........I have nothing against Indians, but it takes about 3 times as long trying to get my message accross which costs even more money.

I am seriously thinking of changing to AOL. I know that their technical call centre is in India as well, but at least it's a free phone number!!!!

Or can anyone recommend any good ISP's out there that are as competitively priced as Tiscali?? 15.99 for Broadband (256Mps)

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I've got 4 email addresses with Telewest Blueyonder and on the odd occasion one of them does the same - its usually down to a problem with one of the pop servers at your ISP rather than at your end - once they've sorted it everythings OK.

Personally I don't like AOL - they seem to want to take over your whole computer rather than just provide an simple internet connection.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Mojouk

It's funny that you should add this post because I spent last Saturday with a friend in Derby trying to sort out her Tiscali/Outlook account. She and I spent forever on the phone to a call centre that was certainly not in the UK. They seemed pretty clueless to be honest and they said that Tiscali would not support 2 email addresses on the one account. So, my friend has deleted her husband's (he's gone with Yahoo) and she has kept hers. It does work in a fashion but not quite as one would expect. I am not quite sure what's going on but as others have said above, they are not always the best ISP.

Good luckand let us knowhow you get on cos it might just help my friend too!!

Kind regards

Gabriella x

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Tiscali only give you ONE POP3 email account ... if you want more change ISPs. You could use their 'Web Mail' service but I've heard people have had problems with that also.

NTL give you 10 POP3 email address & an 0800#. :p

I have 49 Gmail accounts to give away ... just PM me with an email address that works, a First Name & a Second Name and I'll send you an invite. The first & second name can be anything you choose, but I'll need a real email address.

Eventually Gmail will give you some 'invitations' to give away for yourself ... nothing stopping you sending 1 or 2 to yourself ... ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gabriella

I'm really puzzled by Tiscali. I have the feeling that they are learning things as they go along and that they haven't set up their system properly yet. Every time I have to phone them I get this sinking feeling that there's no point because they don't know what they're doing. Which is why I post on this forum with my PC problems, instead of using 'technical' helplines (what a joke)

I mean, they provide us with up to 5 email accounts, but I can't get two to work on Outlook Express at the same time. What's the point?

I am now using one email account with Outlook Express and my second email account via Tiscali's website. This is annoying, but it is the only way I know how.

I don't really have time to sort it out with Tiscali, but I will be switching ISP, as soon as studies finish, and as soon as I look into better alternatives. I might go back to AOL, I know everybody says the're rubbish, but I never had problems with them.

I don't recommend anyone to join Tiscali. For a start you can only join them if you subscribe to a 12 month direct debit plan. There is absolutely NO way out of this. Is this mentioned in their TV ad???

Also, before I joined them, they assured me that my direct debit payment plan would start as soon as I got connected. This was a lie. It took me two months to get connected, but I had started paying 2 weeks after they sent out the modem. I was so upset when they didn't refund me that I tried to disconnect from them. But they told me that the 12 month contract was binding and that I would have to continue payments for 12 months, even though I have been experiencing problems with the connections.

As well as the bad customer service, they didn't warn me that I would need a Firewall. I got a huge virus within 30 minutes of connecting. When I did get an antivus and Firewall it took me ages to set it up so that it wouldn't keep disconnecting Tiscali.

Don't they usually advertise 'free modem' and 'free setup'??? There is nothing free about be paying £30 in phonecalls trying to sort out all these problems......

I now realize I was stuipid not to ask for a 1 month trial, before committing myself to 12 months. Hopefully, anyone reading this will be forwarned.

Muckshifter, I only wish I could move to NTL, I have heard good things about them.......unfortunately I don't live in an NTL area. :-(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It is an unfortunate side-trait that NO ISP, including NTL, tells you about any potential pitfalls.

One major omission is the fact they do/will not make it very clear to you that you are entering into an 'unsigned' binding contract for 12 months ... that would loose them money.

They do NOT ask you if your PC is capable of running their 'modem' ... that would loose them a 'contract' and your money.

They will not tell you, that your BT "home made extension" is totally useless and the cable (RJ11) that they supply is far too short ... that would cost them money if they supplied a decent length (10m) cable and they would loose the contract and your money.

They will not tell you that using USB to connect to the Internet is totally inappropriate ... it just wasn't designed for that job ... Ethernet was, but then that would cost them your money.

I have yet to come across any company that has YOUR interest at heart ... they are only interested in making a profit.

Annoyingly … we live and learn by our mistakes. :(

Ask a Question