A

Angus Comber

Hello

I am running a Dell Dimension 4400 and Windows XP Home. On bootup I get
following error:

STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image olesvr32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not
match the computed checksum.

What is the best way for me to recover from this error?

Angus Comber
(e-mail address removed)

A

Angus Comber

Because I have a number of XP machines around I just took the drive out,
attached to another XP machine and copied the good file from my good
machines C drive to the system directory on the drive in question. That
worked nicely.

I just wanted to know the approved way to recover if this option is not
possible.

Thanks.

Angus

G

I checked www.microsoft.com/support and searched the knowledge base and this is what is has to say:

"STOP: C0000221 Unknown Hard Error" or "STOP: C0000221 STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH" Error Message Occurs
View products that this article applies to.
This article was previously published under Q314474
SYMPTOMS
You may receive any of the following STOP error messages:

STOP: C0000221 unknown hard error
Path\File_name
-or-

STOP: 0xC0000221 unknown hard error
C:\Winnt\System32\Ntdll.dll (or another specific file or driver)
-or-

STOP: 0xC0000221 STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH
Path\File_name
CAUSE
This problem can occur if the file that is described in the error message is corrupted. The following files are checked for integrity when Windows starts:
All driver files (except those that are loaded by the system loader to start. the computer)
All dynamic-link libraries (DLLs), including User, Graphics Device Interface (GDI), Shell, Kernel, Ntdll, Crtdll, and so on.
This problem can occur if you install an inappropriate driver for your hardware. For example, you receive one of the error messages that are described in the "Summary" section of this article if you install a millions of instructions per second (MIPS) driver on an X86-based computer.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, either obtain a new copy of the corrupted file or reinstall Windows. If continue to receive any of the error messages that are described in the "Summary" section of this article after you reinstall Windows, a hardware or network problem may exist.
MORE INFORMATION
This error message may be displayed in many different formats, including either an error message that is displayed on a blue screen or an error message that is displayed in a dialog box. The type of format depends on how much of the operating system was loaded when the corrupted file was detected.

Don't know if it will help or not...but maybe you will be able to figure it out.

Ask a Question