hardware for new computer

Reaction score
Hi,

I have built one computer before and feel a little more confident in choosing parts for another but as things keep changing I would be grateful if someone could tell me if the following components will work together and are compatible with XP.

Also, this computer is for a graphic designer so the spec is higher than I would norrmally make:

1 x JNC 4JA 54 ATX Midi Tower Case with 300watt PSU

2 x 8cm Internal Case Cooling Fan 4 pin

1 x D-Link 56kbps PCI Bus Hardware-based Analog Modem (Rockwell Connexant Chipset)

1 x Sony 52x24x52x IDE DRIVE - OEM

1 x Panasonic Floppy Drive 1.44mb -

1 x Crucial 512 DDR266 PC2100 DIMM

1 x Gainward Geforce4 Powerpack Ultra/650-8x XP Golden Sample/AGP 8x 128MB DDR Ti-4200 Chipset With VIVO And Dual CTR or CRT+DVI Output

1 x ASUS P4S800 SiS648FX Socket 478 800FSB 3DDR 400 ATA133 ATX Motherboard w/ Audio/LAN

1 x Intel Pentium 4 2.667Ghz 533Fsb SKT478 512k Cache Retail Box

1 x Logitech Labtec Wheel Mouse - Ps2

1 x Excelstor 60Gb 7200rpm ATA100 OEM IDE with 3year Warranty.

1 x Microsoft XP Home OEM With Service Pack 1A

Also I was looking for a hardware modem and fingd Ebuyers too slow on connection (cheap rubbish) have I chosen a suitable alternative?

Thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
To me a case is unimportant, a cardboard box will do, so I’d be sceptical if a 300watt PSU will be sufficient and opt for at least a 400/500watt.

I’ve seen the ExcelStor HD (built on IBM technology) before, they are a ‘new kid on the block’, I must add that time will tell if the 3year warrantee will hold up especially as ‘the big boys’ have all opted for 1year. In the 3 years they have been on the market I’ve only seen ‘em in cheap propriety computers.

... the question remains as to how reliable is the drive judging from IBM's past track record. In addition, since ExcelStor is hardly known in this region, buyers would need to be aware of its RMA process and efficiency - which until now, is only serviced at the retail front.

Go for a 'branded' HD such as a WD, Maxtor or even a Seagate.

To me the only hardware modem is an external modem … if they state it is ‘hardware’ find out which hardware it will be using … I’ve seen it stated and the hardware that is actually used by the modem is your CPU, however, with today’s processing power I would not be to duly concerned but, it should do as stated on the box.

Now, as your going down the Intell route I'll hand over to those out there that know about the them ... me, I stick to AMD. ;)

The rest of your kit, especially the graphics card, will be fine tho' I would go for 333/2700 memory just to keep things a little more up-to-date ... pay attention to what Asus recomend what memory you use.

Reaction score
I have changed my spec as follows:

memory change to:

1 x Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184Pin DIMM PC2700 DDR RAM Non-Parity CL2.5

as suggessted by ASUS website and Musckshifter(above)

1x Seagate ST340810A U6 40Gb 5400rpm UDMA100 IDE Hard Disk Drive - OEM

instead of HDD above

1x JNC 5JA 60 Case with 400W PSU in Blue

instead of 300W above

Please comment and also comment on motherboard and Intel chip.

thanks.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oops, I should have said ... always go for a 7200rpm HD and you'll probably find a 60gig more value.

I only pass on the Intel scene as for the past 3 years I've been building AMD systems ... there is no real difference in operation between the two ... the big difference is in cost.

On that note I'm sure, especially as you’ll be using an Asus board, you'll not have any problems.

Just one thing ... did Asus mention Kingston "value ram" by name? Be careful there as Kingston, as with other memory manufactures, does have different types of ram in their portfolio. I, myself, use Kingston and have found it to be very reliable. Make sure you quote the reference number that Asus recommends when ordering. :)

Ask a Question